Upshift indicator

Just a quickie here. Is the subjects subject supposed to tell me to upshift when I'm already in 5th?

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

No, not normally. Cars with the upshift indicator had a big fragile switch on the tranny that had a set of contacts to shut off the upshift indicator if your were in fifth already (the same switch had contacts for the backup lights as well).

Cars without the upshift indicator got a plain old single-pole backup light switch on the tranny. The two switches are not interchangeable, as the tranny housing has different openings for the two switches.

I got my '87 GTi used, and the tranny was not original to the car. The car has the upshift indicator but the 5th gear switch is missing so the upshift indicator comes on in 5th.

On A2 Golfs the regular single pole switch (no upshift indicator) is on top of the tranny housing. The big multi-pole switch would sit even further back and down on the tranny. If you find a simple screw-in type backup light switch and a hacked up wiring harness, you probably have the same situation I have. I assume that since you posted the question, your upshift indicator comes on in 5th?

I have heard stories of early A2 transmissions being "self-machining" (some part of the differential grinding its way into the transmission or vice versa) so a fair number of A2 cars have had the tranny replaced.

DruG wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

Thanks for the post. Yeah the upshift indicator does go on when I'm in fifth and come to think of it I don't think the backup lights are working. Better check it out. There's also some problems with the tach but I'm guessing the switch wouldn't affect that.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG