URGENT, help needed - 93 VW GOLF Diesel, crankshaft problem

Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help ASAP. I am currently in a bind with my 93 VW golf Diesel. 2 years ago I was told that the problem with my enigine was with the crankshaft and the keyway being worn down causing the crank to slip out of timing.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but I understand most of the lingo that is thrown around in here.

I am looking for the following:

- Any and All ideas or stories on how this problem has been fixed in the past?

- Success Stories.

- Advice.

Thank you

Anthony

email me at ( snipped-for-privacy@xerox.com)

Reply to
ICEBERG

I had a friend this happened to on a dasher. He took it appart and had a machine shop weld up then remachine it but that failed (didn't tighten the bolt enough). Then he got a new timing belt sprocket and key, approximated the correct position then drilled a hole into the assemblie midway between the two pieces (half in the crankshft/half in the sproket), put in a piece of the solid part of the drill in the hole and put the bolt on to the correct tightness and then drove it it for another 100k miles. Any varience of the pulley to crank can be corrected by timing the cam at it's pulley (it's not keyed) and moving the pump in it's bracket. You've got nothing to loose because the crank is already shot, the only totally correct way is to replace it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Roughly two years ago, I took my 95 Golf TD into an independant mechanic for a timing belt change. They recommended the insertion of a dowel pin (steel) into the crankshaft and the pulley. This helps support the keyway. They indicated it is a common failure on the AAZ code Turbo Diesel engine.

I don't know if this will work on a car that already has a buggered up keyway however.

The shop was called Competition Motors and they are located in Belleville, Ontario, if you are anywhere near them. They were great to me.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie