Using non VW oil filter?

Will using a non VW oli filter void my 100,000 powertrain warranty?

Reply to
lolajoker

I use a K&N filter rather than the OEM filter. VW has a list of filters (and oil) they deem acceptable that will not void your warranty - call a dealer for specifics.

Reply to
Brian Talley

You only need to use a filter that meets the specifications VW specifies for your specific engine/year.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I cannot speak for the newer VWs, but the older ones (such as my '88 Cabbie) require an oil filter that has a built-in check valve that helps to sustain oil pressure at idle RPM. For these cars it is very important that an oil filter with check valve be installed. VW has them, but there are other sources as well (Bosch, Mann, Wix, etc.). So if your car has the same requirement, make sure that you get the proper filter.

As far as voiding the warranty, ask your dealer.

Reply to
Papa

If the dealer tells you that use of an aftermarket filter will void your warranty, they are breaking the law. If they refuse to repair your car under warranty because you are using an aftermarket oil filter you can take them to court and retire on the proceeds.

Reply to
Rex B

Maybe someone will retire on the proceeds, but it won't be the complainant. Can you say L-A-W-Y-E-R ?

Reply to
Papa

It depends on the wording of the warranty, I think. In the case of VW and, for example, the 1.8T engines, there are a number of filters and oil that VW approves of and which you may use without fear your warranty will not be honored.

Can you cite a (U.S.) law that says you may use any filter you wish and the dealers must honor your warranty if your engine dies as a result?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious to know.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, specifically, Title 15 of the US Code, Section 2302(C):

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer?s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if? (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

Reply to
Brian Running

I have seen all brands, colors, etc on VW's over the years and have never seen a filter cause engine damage. Personally, it's a "no brainer" not to use the OEM filter considering you aren't saving that much! But over the years I have used the cheap $3 filters on some of my VW's and NEVER had engine failure!

Reply to
Woodchuck

The vW filters are much better. Take one and cut it in half. Take a cheper one that claims to be up to spec and cut it in half. Measure the amount and look at the quality of the filtering material.

Reply to
Diarmud387

It's the "Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act". Enacted in the late '60s or early '70s as I recall. (And I may have the precise spelling wrong).

In a nutshell, it says that manufacturers can't void a warranty because of non-OEM replacement parts as long as the parts in question are "equivalent" and you've otherwise followed the manufacturer's instructions.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

The reason I asked is I have no intention of giving the VW dealer one more cent because of the way they have treated me since my bumper to bumper warranty ran out. So if I can get away from buying my filters there it would be a pleasure! I also don't want to give VW the business because of their poor customer relations via VW of America! Besides their filters are way over priced!

Reply to
lolajoker

Time to consider a Honda! But remember if you never visit the dealer again you maybe missing out on some FREE work such as ECM & TCM flashes and other technical bulletins which ask us to do updates which aren't recalls. Sorry to hear your bad luck with your dealer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Agreed. K&N was rated highly. For the 1.8T, cost is around US$10 or so, which is a bit more than you might pay for other filters.

You can call a VW dealer and ask them what filters apart from OEM they recommend.

Reply to
Brian Talley

Right, and that makes sense. VW dealers do have lists of non-OEM filters and oils that are deemed "equivalent". Some are more expensive than OEM, others less.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Brian Talley

FWIW, my wife and I have bought VWs as have some of our friends, and we have had very bad experiences at both dealerships in Rochester, New York. They are okay once they know you want to buy a car, and they are fine during the warranty. But getting a salesdroid's attention is a challenge and getting courteous service after a warranty expires is nigh on impossible.

With the outrageous prices VW charges now for oil changes and other mundane service, I'm f> Time to consider a Honda! But remember if you never visit the dealer again

Reply to
Brian Talley

I keep forgetting how good our dealer is compared to most. After your car is out of warranty the dealer should bow down and kiss your feet! That's when profit margin usually are a bit more. Oil changes, we charge $29.95 for 2.0 & 1.8T Golf, Jetta Passat engines. VR6 & V6 are $35. If a customer brings in his/her own parts... we gladly install them with the only drawback is there is no VW backed warranty.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Just buy the OEM Mann (BTW, that is the brand) equivalents from Germanautoparts.com. Although they have a website, I always phone in my order, just to make sure they have what I need, and confirm that I'm not forgetting something, like the copper washers for the drain plug. My last batch of VR6 filters were $9.19 each, with the washers taped to the top of the filter box.

As an aside, I have no affiliation with the above vendor, other than as a very satisfied customer. They seem to know their parts, and have never tried to 'upsell' me anything. In fact, when I bought some replacement shocks, they convinced be the less expensive set would work better for my bumpy, potted, midwestern streets.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos

The plaintiff will be 33% closer to retirement ;)

Reply to
Rex B

I had my 04 Jetta in for its first oil change a couple months ago. VW was going to charge $60 and give me Castrol blend. I opted to supply my own oil (Mobil 1) and K&N filter which knocked the price paid to VW to $15.

There are some horror stories I could relate, but others have done that on this and other forums. As long as there is an alternative to paying a lot and dealing with a surly service department, I'm cool; dealers can act any way they want. Customers always vote with their wallets. :-)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your dealer is good. Where are you located?

Reply to
Brian Talley