vacuum pump

I picked up my new westy ('82 diesel) today, and the brakes are still very stiff. I took it over to my VW guru friends house and he determined that the vacuum pump isn't working. No sucking or air flow when disconected.

I checked bus depot, go westy, and cal imports and none of them list "vacuum pump". Does anyone know where I can get this part? Is it possible that it is a dealer only item?

Other than this one little (and hopefully inexpensive) fix, everything else looks good on the van. Yippie!

Peace - donna

Reply to
pokeswagon

There were two different vacume pumps used on older vw diesels. The first generation has a plate on the top held on by screws and a diaphram inside that can be replaced. The later ones look like a oil pump and I don't know anything about them except that in the 10 or so high mileage diesels I've owned none ever failed. Having owned a vanagon I would remove the hose from the pump and with the engine running see if it "sucks". It's a long way up to the master cylinder in the front. While were on the subject get under and look at the long pipes going from the engine to the radiator. The ones on my

84 were rusted pretty thin. If yours are bad start looking because as I recall they have been discontinued. The ones for my 84 vanagon were made in South Aferica. (vanagons were made there untill just recently).

Joe R VW fan

Reply to
Jo Bo

There are rebuild kits available for the vacuum pump, at least the diaphram-type you probably have. One has assorted seals and a replacement rubber diaphram, the other has the plastic check valves for the head of the pump. Best bet is to pull the pump, open it up and see what parts need replacing.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I'm not quite sure about the two versions you describe but I had trouble with the pump on my 85 Jetta TD, and it finally was not a faulty pump but lack of oil pressure, because the bore in the rod that drives the pump was clogged.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune
85's had the later vacume pump. The vacume pumps are driven by the indermediate shaft and the oil pump is run off the bottom of the vacume pump as I recall so you don't want to run the engine without the vacume pump. The intermediate shaft pulley is driven off the flat side of the belt. I've herd if the timing belt is loose the intermediate pulley will slip on the backside of the belt and oil pressure will be low and that's not good.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Jim B.