Vanagon problems

Hello, I recently bought a 1986 vanagon and found that I will need to replace the engine within the next 6 months since one of the lifters is not working properly. In the mean time I experienced a sudden loss of power when driving on the freeway. I was driving at 65 mph and all in a sudden I went down to

50 mph, although I was shifting gears (standard transmission) never could go back to 65 mph or higher. Also, two days before the OXS light in the dashboard went red. I read that I just needed to reset the button, which I did not do, since it was driving ok. Someone told me that the cathalytic converter has to be replaced in order to get the power back. Anyone has experienced a similar problem? How much should I pay for a reused engine?

Raphael

Reply to
rafael_escamilla

The lifter can be replaced in under a hour with the engine in the van. However vanagon lifters have a problem and they work better if you set the valve clearence at about .006" instead of .0 If you"ve adjusted them they may be too tight as they get touchy in their old age. To replace a lifter, get spring loaded push rod tubes and new seals for it/them. Then remove the valve cover, loosen the adjusting screw on the valve that has the bad lifter nd remove the push rod. Then destroy the old pushrod tube and remove it. The lifter is right there. Replace it. Then put the seals on the new pushrod tube and compress it. Then put it into position and let it expand. Put the push rod back in making sure it's in the center of the lifter, adjust the rocker arm and your done.

Reply to
Jo Bo

How many miles is on it? possibly got a cracked dist. cap and ba plugs. Replace the plugs with good ones,pref. german. also,oxs=O sensor going bad?Hyd. lifters in these arent they?? Should be sel adjusting

-- Kaveman

Reply to
Kaveman