Vent window seal install instructions

I have really run into a roadblock trying to install a new OEM black rubber seal on my driver side vent window frame. My car is a 1988 Rabbit Cabriolet convertible. The window is the type that swivels.

The first thing I did was to remove the 2 screws holding the glass in place and then I removed the glass to get it out of the way. Then I tried to install the seal WITHOUT taking the vent window frame out of the door, but even with a good lubricant the spaces were just too tight to get the seal installed.

So it looks like I may have to remove the door windows scrapers, interior door hardware (armrest, etc.), and interior door panel. This seems to be necessary just to get at the vent window frame and remove it. Once the vent window frame is removed from the door, I think I will have more clearance to get that seal installed onto the vent window frame.

I hate to go through the removal of all of that door hardware and the interior panel because it is all new - and I might mess it up.

Anyway, I need a set of instructions for this task. My Bentley manual has nothing on the subject. If anyone can provide a reference to a set of instructions, it would be a great help. Also, your personal experiences would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Reply to
Papa