Very strange: ABS / Headlights / Fan / Emergency Brake light / 97 Jetta GLX

97 Jetta GLX

This used to only happen occasionally but now occurs almost every time.

1) I start the car and both the Emergency Light and ABS lights stay (emergency brake, not engaged). Additional symptoms - the headlights will not come on and the blower fan (for inside the car will not come on). I can drive around fine.

2) If I back the key towards the off position just right, I hear a click like a relay engaging and the headlights will come on, the blower will come on, and both the emergency and ABS lights will go off.

Could it be that the ignition switch is worn out? Will I damage things by driving with the ABS/Emergency lights on? Any suggested remedies?

Many thanks.

- Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Pasika

-> Ignition (term. 15) has +12V, load-reduction relay (term. X) has not.

What you haer is the load-reduction relay energizing.

Very likely, as backing the key off helps.

Not necessarily, but I wouldn't recommend it for numerous reasons.

Rplace defective parts of lock. If all positions are firm and easy to find when turning the key it's very likely only the electrical part - if not it also might be worn mechanically.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune