Very Tempted To Buy

Hi people, I wonder if anyone could advise me please? I have a chance to buy a very nice, black 8v mk2 golf gti with BBS alloys and no mods whatsoever

1990, 2 owners (from same family),89000,H.P.I clear, with lots of history. The beauty is very clean and straight and drives perfectly and all the bits work. I have been on the look out for one in this colour for months and although it is only £1400 I still don't want to be lumbered with a dog, as I intend to keep it for many years to come and cherish it dearly.I've always had a soft spot for the mk2s, and now that I'm 40 (old fart!) and can afford the insurance, I would like some fun in my twilight years, I have done a bit homework and am very tempted on this car but it has one possible bad point :

When looking, with the front drivers side wheel pointing out ,up into the underneath of the engine bay, I have noticed a good bit of oil where the sump is bolted. It could be running down from the back of the engine but I can't quite see,(no leaks on the front). The oil is not running out in a puddle but seems to have been leaking for a while. It could possibly be just a sump gasket leaking or is it pointing to major work. I just wondered if anyone could advise me a little.

As I said, the engine runs fine and gear change is very good.

Without seeing the car I know its a bit awkward for you good people but maybe someone has had something similar to report, big bills maybe?

Thanks

Reply to
Iwantadecentgolfgti

Might be able to .....

That's far too much money for an 8v car.

Should be able to pick up a really nice one for well under £1k.

Reply to
SteveH

I agree £1400 is a lot but everything i've looked at so far have been far from perfect especially the sub £1000 ones. Good ones seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I could get a mk3 for not much more but they don't appeal to me as much as a nice black or green mk2. So I thought I would spend a little more on a good honest mk2.

Reply to
Iwantadecentgolfgti

I see your logic.

Just because people ask silly prices, doesn't mean they'll get it.....

I'd go in there looking to pay no more than £1k.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't see the oil leak as you describe it to be a major problem.

Burning oil out the tail pipe, (you should get a pressure test on the four cylinders prior to purchase, both wet & dry), is a bigger problem.

It might be a gasket but they are no big deal to replace, the hardest of the three big one being the head gasket. It might well be something as simple as the valve cover gasket, which if it's the early style is made of cork and leaks on All 8v motors so equipped. Upgrading to the studs and neoprene gasket originally seen on the G60 would tighten that whole deal right up.

Have the beast seen and evaluated by a mechanic for a nominal fee and make your best deal.

TBerk

Reply to
T Berk

no mods whatsoever

possible bad point :

underneath of the engine bay, I have noticed a good bit of

If its any help, my 87 16 valve is absolutely plastered in oil all around the sump, and bottom of the gear box, but it doesnt loose oil at all. ive never had to top it up, although i do an oil change every

6-10 thousand miles. I wouldnt worry about it.

Take it for a test drive, go back and see the guy the next day, if theres any oil on the tarmac underneath the car, then I'd forget it, otherwise, its probably not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Jimmy