Vibration at speeds above 60mph

Hi,

My 97 VW Passat was driving smoothly UNTIL I had two new front tires installed.

I moved the old front tires to the back and got rid of the back tires.

The old front tires which have been moved to the back are a DIFFERENT brand than the new front tires and will have less tread since I have been using them for about 6 months already.

All the tires were balanced by my mechanic when installed. However I did NOT get an alignment done as I had one done 6 months ago.

Now my steering wheel vibrates when I drive faster than 60-70mph.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can correct it? Please email me if I have missed some relevant information.

Thanks, Anwar

Reply to
Anwar

Almost certain it is a balance problem or a defect in one or both new tyres. I have two suggestions.

  1. Have the front tyres rebalanced. It may be helpful to have them dynamically balanced.
  2. Check the tyres carefully. Look for a wave in the tread (belt slip) an have them checked for out of round.
  3. If you are in a snow area, put the new ones on the BACK not the front. On FWD cars the best tyres should be on the back. The real danger when driving on slippery roads is not the front end, but the back end slipping out and leading the way. (yea I said two suggestions, but consider this one a urgent warring, not a suggestion.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That happened right after you installed the new tires, or you did not get around to driving that fast for a while?

Bad balancing?

Lost wheel weight.

Bent wheel?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Find another mechanic?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Check to make sure the lug nuts are tight. If that doesn't work take them back to where you bought them from and have them figure it out, after all you payed them to balance them and put them on.

Reply to
Scott Metzger