Vibration w/ new tires? 96 2L Golf

I am in the process of getting the car to an alignment shop, but has anyone had any issues similar to mine. I just put new tires on the car, dunlop d60 sports and am having some steering wheel vibration, worst around 60-65mph. Before mounting the tires, I thought I felt something 'loose' up front and my mechanic could not find anything, suggested he check wheel bearings, motor mounts, etc. I wasn't having the feeling transmitted to the steering wheel until I put the new tires on (on different wheels too, both 14") I did recently have the front brake pads and rotors replaced. The other interesting point is that I am at 65,000 miles. I bought a used 2L golf for my mom a few years back (w/ ~60K) and noticed the same problems with some new tires, although a different no name all season tire. I drove it to her home in a different state after an alignment shop could not find a problem. Her 'shimmy' was sporadic which made me think wheel bearing in her case. I told her to take it to the shop and get it checked and she said they found nothing. I am sure that she does not notice a slight shimmy in the wheel. Mine seems worse than I remember hers to be. But both around 60K?! Do you guys have any thoughts? thanx in advance, andy

Reply to
andy

Speed Specific Vibrations are almost always caused by wheels that need to be balanced.

Reply to
DDB

A dented rim or poor balancing. If they weren't new tires I'd say flat spot...otherwise suspension...upper spring mounts, bad inserts? Are the new tires wider?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
andy

Yes, strut bearings/plates. My mind was apparently drifting somewhere. :) Since the tires are new, I would have assumed that they would have been balanced at purchase. Jack up the car, put it in neutral and spin the tires...any noticeable dent in the rim? It'll be subtle--fix your eye on a point and look for a slight wobble.

Good Luck, Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

May have been balanced correctly and then thrown a weight on the way home?

Reply to
DDB

my Golf Mk3 is at 57k also has vibration in the front wheels but at

75/80mph. I've been told my front upper mounts need replacing in the not so distant future, so getting them done when i've got the time.

Although one of my alloys has a massive dent in it from a snow crash :) don't think that helps.

Reply to
Joe

I wasn't having the feeling transmitted to the steering

I am the original owner of a 95 Golf. I've experienced this same problem at different times and attributed it to the tires. Also had it checked out once, nothing was found.

Reply to
Golf Guy

I doubt it. Those weights are crimped on pretty well. Unless they're the type that's pressed on.

Reply to
Darryl