Volkswagen personality

That thread here about the 1979 Rabbit interests me. I read many car newsgroups and have not run across any other car makes which inspire such passion in their owners to restore and keep them on the road. I also have never seen a thread this long about a car of this age, except for one early

80s Honda owner, whom most people trashed for complaining about the cost of his part.

I used to know someone in the late 70s who had a Rabbit and it was always spewing black smoke and he was always angry as it was new. I suppose I would have assumed it wouldn't still be running. But now I wonder. I think back to the crummy Hondas and Toyotas on the road in the 70s and how almost all of them are in junkyards, long gone, mostly because they rusted out, but for some reason the Rabbit still is considered roadworthy. I've seen several just this week and they were not all that rusty. I am wondering if they keep going forever if well taken care of, if parts are replaced, and what makes them worth keeping forever.

I have a friend who drove an orange Beetle, 1966 I think. It had a real personality. He finally sold it to an avid collector, because he didn't want to keep putting money into it, lots of repairs were needed.

But the point is that some people do want to keep restoring their old cars. Why VW? There must really be something really worthwhile about that car. It can't be just image and hype because there is no status in driving an old car, since you're not supporting the theory that everything must be disposable to keep the economy going, and buying new cars.

The Toyotas I've had do not have a personality. At all times I've felt like I was driving a rental car. Same with Hondas I've driven, belonging to relatives. The pos Saturn I used to drive of my friend's had more personality even though it had turbo lag. My Hyundai Pony had personality. Same body type as the Rabbit, it lasted me 365,000 km but it needed too much body work lately to keep driving it; it was structurally unsound, and there are no Pony collector clubs.

I did test drive the Golf and the Jetta when I was researching new cars in

2002, when told my Pony was no longer safe to drive. My number one choice was the Golf because I wanted a hatchback and loved its looks (not fat like most of the other cars). What made me buy the Corolla was 3 things: 1) in general, constant rave reviews putting it and Honda as Number One, and consistently not recommending the VWs (except the Passat) because of electrical problems. 2) needed more room in the back seat for passengers, I thought. 3) Golf and Jetta both cost about $2,000 to 4,000 (Cdn) more than the Corolla, which in turn cost the same as the Echo with equivalent extras. Honda btw was almost the same premium as the VWs. I thought perhaps these cars cost more because of image, since Toyota was judged to be just as excellent or more so.

I am saying Toyota (and the car reviews like CR) tricked me into buying a car that I don't like and don't feel I can stand to drive for one year let alone 20 years if it is built to last that long. It has design flaws and I consider it a big mistake and am going to take my losses and try again.

I am thinking of VW now and am well aware of the electrical problems. If something isn't put in right in the factory, and is then fixed, then it should be fine, right? I am wondering if that is as bad as a car (Corolla) that spews sulphur and coolant and gas and exhaust fumes into the cabin daily, which the dealer calls "normal." In all these threads there is only one about fumes in the VW cabin and it was replied by someone saying that is not normal. I always assumed that diesel Golfs would spew diesel fumes into the cabin but the owner here says that doesn't happen. And the diesel Golf seems to get mileage almost as good as the hybrids.

I believe unfortunately that many who own a car become part of that car's club of defenders and cannot admit there is anything wrong with any model of that car. Toyota owners are absolutely the worst; even though Toyota itself admitted to a sludge problem, the Toyota fans who never had that happen accuse others of causing it themselves by not changing the oil twice as frequently as the manual says. That was the last generation. The current generation has a catalytic converter problem and that is blamed on the gas. However that same gas doesn't cause fumes when used in other makes of car with different catalytic converters (apparently).

My question is: those of you who are VW owners, do you love your cars? Do you still love them even though they have electrical problems because you feel at home behind the wheel? Do the problems strand you on the road and if so, how often? Is a cell phone a requirement if you drive a VW because they are very "delicate"? If money was no object what car would you drive, if you had to just pick one and keep it for 15 years?

Thanks.

Reply to
windmere

Absoloutley.

I love my VWs. They aren't just appliances that get you from point A to point B, they make driving fun. Sure they may cost a little more to run, but they make a statement...driving a Volkswagen says something about who you are as a person. Volkswagen is different, and their character manifests itself in the vehicles. Look at the design of the vehicle. Then look at a Honda or Toyota. BORING....VW products allow people to be active in the role of driving, not simply a passive accessory.

Would you want to flog your Corolla at 180 km/h all day long? Probobly not. But it can be done in a VW. VWs can take alot. As the saying goes, they invigorate, never isolate...and this is true!

I love my VWs because they are fun to drive, different, and just a cool car. I have a '68 Beetle, a '90 Jetta GLI, and a 2003 New Beetle GLS 1.8T...All three of these cars are very different, but they all exhibit the same fun-to-drive qualities that just simply aren't found in any other brand.

I work for VW and hear about people bitching about their cars on a daily basis, yet oddly enough, when it's time to get another vehicle, guess what they buy? Yup...it's a VW...people like the way that the car drives for the price and are finding that nobody else can match what VW offers.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Right now my dash is dismantled. Speedometer cable broke. In the last year I've: New shocks / Struts. New Shocks again (very bad premature failure) CV joint New Exhaust header 4-2-1 New Exhaust Motor mounts Starter Euro Headlights Valve Stem Seals

Reply to
Matt Anderson

I am the owner of a 1981 Scirocco. I don't get stranded beside the road, it is not a 'delicate car (I point you to look into Skyline Rd between San Francisco and San Jose approx, as well as other topographical features of the SF Bay Area), I'll be a Scirocco owner long after 15 years have gone by- ooops already have.

My GF drove a Toyota, it was 13 years and counting until a hydroplaning accident bent it's frame. Looked new too, she currently drives something else but I suppose fully intends to drive it a similar reasonable amount of time. Point being I and others see little need to keep churning through next year's model.

Part of the reason one might tool around in a 1st generation VW (well partly) might be the simplistic nature of it's operation, vs the current "Why is there a big plastic cover over my entire motor?" "Don't they want me to have access to it?"

I look at current cars as donor material.

TBerk have I answered the marketing survey to your satisfaction?

windmere wrote: : That thread here about the 1979 Rabbit interests me. I read many car : newsgroups and have not run across any other car makes which inspire such : passion in their owners to restore and keep them on the road. I also have : never seen a thread this long about a car of this age, except for one early : 80s Honda owner, whom most people trashed for complaining about the cost of : his part.

Older cars do tend to have some class...what class I'm not sure... I have a 83 Porsche and a 86 GTI. We just put a new head on the GTI and a 2.0aba block from a donor without a rear end.

It's not all that cheap to keep, but even when I spun the rodbearing on the Porsche, it still let me drive it to the shop (abit slowly...)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

"windmere" wrote in news:WgMNb.122930$ts4.51827@pd7tw3no:

Really then you haven't been looking hard enough ;-), try searching for MGB / midget / sprite etc. There are several companies in the states who do _nothing_ except provide enthusasts with parts for MG cars dating back into the 60's.

Will

Reply to
William Munns

though it had turbo lag.

What Saturn had a turbo?

Reply to
Matt B.

My VW's too old to have electrical problems :-) My '91 GTI is quite a bit simpler than the current models and I don't know what it is, but it's almost a living breathing being. It has a soul. It has personality.

My 2000 Eurovan also has a certain something. It's different. It's kinda fun to drive, but different. It's not a "toss me around" kind of drive because it's too big for that. But I think it's cool because it's very unique...there's nothing on the road like it. And so far it hasn't had any electrical issues. Quite a few owners of the '01 and up vans with the 24V engine seem to be having nonstop Check Engine lights, but my '00 has the 12V engine and the only time I had a "check engine" light was when someone borrowed the van and filled it with gas and didn't put the cap on correctly.

Reply to
Matt B.

What...toyota's don't have parts that wear out? Most of what you describe a re wear and tear parts. I have never seen a car that won't wear parts out. If you want to tell me that NON-wearing parts break less often on a Toyota, I won't argue, but they, like all other vehicles will wear out axles, shocks, exhausts, and light bulbs.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Got my first CE light on the van yesterday (at 32,000 miles). Coolant Temp sensor code. Not sure if it is bad or if it had something to do with fact it was

1 degree out.
Reply to
Tony Bad

Never on a toyota (such as my girlfriends) would I have taken the time and money to fix all of these parts. Simply because her car isn't as fun to drive as my VW.

Reply to
Matt Anderson

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...my misunderstanding...sorry for the confusion...it is real cold, I think I have brain freeze.

Reply to
Tony Bad

What electrical problems?

Reply to
DDB

It was a 1997 SL1. I am calling it "turbo lag" because that is the term I learned for this effect: From a standstill, when applying gas, nothing happens for a few seconds, then it jerks forward. When I told my friend this he said it was normal. However - I never had it in my Toyotas - instead seem to have something called torque steer! Not too frequently, but at a stoplight, when idling and just before releasing the brake, the car will surge forward an inch or so and seem to jump to the side.

Reply to
windmere

Hey

I'm the very proud owner of a 1999.5 Golf TDI-GLS. This is the most loaded to the gills TDI Golf you can buy, everything is electrically operated, and I have the self learning automatic transmission to add to the complexity.

Want to know how many electrical problems my car has had in the 3.5 years it has been a company car, under the constant abuse of over 15 people, and my almost year of abuse.... NONE! The window clips broke, replaced under warranty, the regulators were done at the same time, because they were failure prone, so my dealer told VW they had died. My Mass Airflow sensor died, 500 bucks out of my pocket.... oh wait, until VW replaced my money, and gave me a 7 year warranty on it!

Sure my lights all burnt out after 4+ years, almost one after another, but I mean 75 bucks w/tax for new fronts, and free bulbs for the back from my dealer, i'm not complaining, cuz this car has better lights then most cars on the road!

Funks, fumes, and odours.... Well after an 8 hour roadtrip (and no stops for fuel since it's a diesel!) any car gets a little funky, but the cabin air filter does a pretty good job of keeping the funks down. I can't smell anything from the outside, unless its REALLY strong.... basically I don't even smell the manure from farmers fields anymore unless it's really potent. As for smelling my cars own stench of diesel.... yes if I leave my door or window open and it wafts in, no if the car is sealed up.

So 4.5 years, 83000kms later what do I think of my baby. Well the seat heaters keep my ass and back (all the way up to the shoulder blades) warm on these cold days, my passenger in the front is equally comfy. The tranny has adapted to my driving quite nicely. My steering is nice and firm while driving, but gets pretty easy for parking. It stops quickly, accelerates fine, and just the other day she started after it had been sitting for 12 hours in -38 C with the windchill..... without the block heater plugged in...

I love my car. My dad loves his 2003 Golf CL (base model, nothing electric, manual gearbox) We loved our old 1991 Golf, exhausts and new batterys were frequent with that one, but everything else ran like a clock (it was a short hop car, so the battery and exhaust were abused)

Go for a new Golf... You'll never find a car more comfortable with itself and its capabilities.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Remember people in general bitch about their cars, and still buy from the company. Because really, all cars have similar issues, and most people are too hard to please... And most problems are caused by owners not the actual car. I never believe those people who have 10 million things go wrong... yes things break, but not that much if it's maintained.

personality.

passengers,

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

personality.

passengers,

Reply to
Rob Guenther

All cars (well, most anyhow) have their distinct advantages and disadvantages - to be happy with your car you need to understand what these are between the various makes and then make a vehicle selection that fits your own personal preferences, tastes and priorities. Listen to hype from others but think for yourself and make the overall evaluations and decisions for yourself.

Basic general guidance on the advantages in my opinion:

Japanese made cars are generally the most reliable. German cars are generally the best handling and fun to drive. American cars are generally the smoothest and quietest riding.

My 2003 VW Golf is exactly what I wanted. Had a couple little electrical bugs (fixed by dealer under warranty), and sure the ride is stiff, but the thing is responsive and fun to drive and looks good and should last a long time.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne