VR6 fuel leak when cold ?

Hello all

My dad has this problem with his VR6 (golf 3), whenever the car is started from cold fuel will leak from the fuel pump area. What's funny is the fact that this only happens when the car is cold. Also the fuel only leaks when the car is running, ie when the fuel pump is working (still only when it's cold). Could it be one of the fuel lines that is affected by the colder temperature somehow ? Is this a common problem on the VR6 ? It's a 1997 model.

Reply to
jcb

Common....not to my knowledge, but I don't see a lot of Golfs with VR6s either. :-)

It might be a faulty clamp on the fuel filter. Please check it out before your dad loses something more than gas!

dave

Could be a fuel filter as well. I'ts metal and about the size of a coke can. Has a fuel in and out pipe. The "fuel out" has a metal coupling on it. The whole filter/pump has a bracket over it to protect it. It's located about six inches from the fuel tank. Don't know why you would place a filter in such a crappy place ? I tend to think it might be the filter that's faulty and causing the leak.

Reply to
jcb

The fuel pump is inside the tank! Could you be a bit more informative?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Did they move it in later Golfs? A2's had it under the car about around the passsnger front seat area, the one int eh tank is the transfer pump.

Reply to
Biz

Thos A2 Golfs had two fuel pumps. The one you describe is the main fuel pump, there was another transfer fuel pump inside the tank.

Reply to
Randolph

I found the problem. It was the metal clamp on the rubber pipe feed from the fuel tank that was causing the leak. Added some hose clamps and no more leaks.

informative?

Reply to
jcb