VW Cabrio 2001 - Evap Pump needed (Toronto, Canada)

Hi,

I'm having some serious issues finding a refurbished/reconditionned part for my VW Cabrio 2001 (early model - bought in June 2000). To make matters more complicated, seems there are two different models of this part for my car.

Looking for: Evap Pump or Leak Detection Pump

Part number: 021906201

Since I'm not even certain changing it will fix the problem (engine light keeps coming on), I don't want to shell out the $600 it would cost to get it new from the dealer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mel

Reply to
Cabrio2001

what's the fault code? They, the pump usually doesn't go bad.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Mechanic says it's "malfunction".

This happened before. The first time, it said "Gross leak". The mechanic spent hours looking for it, but couldn't find it. I took the car to the dealer (his suggestion), and they too spent hours looking for the leak. But finally, they found it, and said it was the charcoal canister.

So I had that replaced. System was fine. But the light came back on - after a day or two, and driving the car for about 45 min. Took it the mechanic, he did the test, and the system was ok. I saw it. Light went off immediately after, but it came back on.

I took the car back, and that when the test came back as "evap malfunction". He talked to a few people, and came to the conclusion that maybe the pump went faulty trying to compensate for the leak? He's not sure it'll fix the problem.

I can get the fault code on Monday though.

Thanks for the reply.

Mel

Lost > what's the fault code? They, the pump usually doesn't go bad.

Reply to
Cabrio2001

Yeah post all of the DTC information if you can.

I had to replace a few components to take care of an evap malfunction on a '97 GTi VR6. IIRC one of the components was the pump/valve and another was the cannister. I think I even replaced the large intake boot since that was falling apart along with installing a dealer gas cap to replace the aftermarket one. You could tell the difference with only changing the gas cap such as a smoother idle and seemingly more power.

My vag-com tool allowed me to activate the pump, and other components, to test to see that it did not work at all.

Now this is the first time that Engine check light has been off for years I'm told. lol

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Okay. I'll do that.

But does anyone know of places where I could find reconditioned parts like these? That's my biggest quandry at the moment. Mel

One out of many Daves a =E9crit :

Reply to
Cabrio2001