VW Corrado Antenna upgrade

I have a 92 VW corrado with a corroded antenna base. The base is the one with the coaxial antenna cable and the power cord. I purchased the newer VW antenna base that has only the coaxial cable wire but the end does not mate with the antenna wire in the car. Any suggestions on where I can find an adapter that won't require me to replace the whole antenna wire to the stereo?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Spencer

Do you mean that the threaded plug won't go onto the stub that pokes through the roof of the car? I would think that all replacement antennas would thread onto the existing wire - most problems occur with getting power to the antenna amplifier or getting the proper ground. What does the end of the car's antenna wire look like? You might get some help at

AudiAvant

When I posted a similar question here a while back, several folks provided me with help, so I guess it's my turn.

My understanding is that there are two types of the Fuba antennas: one that has the DC power fed on the coax and one that has a separate connector for the DC power. Sounds like your Corrado has the later. My Passat has the former, and it sounds like you just ended up the replacement antenna for the wrong type.

A site that was recommended to me was:

Ibought my replacement from them and all went well. The antenna that's shownon their web site isn't the one you want. If you consider them at all, I'dsuggest you call before buying anything. First, I'd try to take the replacement you have back to wherever you got it and see if you can exchange it for the correct one. If you're stuck with it, you can probably dump it on eBay to recover part of your money. That done, check the site I mentioned above or another vendor for the correct replacement. Failing that, you're going to end up doing a lot of unnecessary work. You said that the replacement that you bought didn't mate to the connector inside the car. Again, that just screams that you have the wrong part unless someone's already been there before you and may have changed the connector.

Maybe someone with a Bentley book can look your car up and provide some more details.

Good luck to you and Happy New Year to everybody! trebor

p.s. To whomever it was on this group a month or two ago bragging about how happy they were having replaced the sagging headliner in their car. Mine ('97 Passat) was getting really bad despite a couple of ASS/2 attempts to put it back up with the 3M spray on glue. I found a local shop (Atlanta area) that replaced the thing with new fabric and did a great job. Quite likely the best money ($150) I've ever spent on vehicle maintenance.

(I have no affiliation with the

site other than as a satisfied customer.)

Reply to
trebor4258