VW dilema with the wife - help!

I purchased a new GTI in April. I truly have nothing but praise for the car as the only quibbles I had have all but disappeared.

The only delivery problem with the car was the sunroof. Turned out to be a broken clip, and the dealer repaired it under warranty.

The car is exceedingly well designed. I've found the seats (leather) to be supportive and very comfortable for short or long drives. The controls are mostly intuitive, and I have little problem with them. My only quibbles are the sunroof control is unlit (unlike all the other knobs!) and the center console creaks when I rest my arm on it.

It's built for four people, although the carrying capacity says 5. There is AMPLE cargo room, and it handles most loads well.

The handling of the car is phenomenal. I have an aggressive driving style and this car is easily it's equal. With the optional ESP program it is well nigh impossible to put the car out of shape in rain or dry weather (I'll let you know how it handles in snow in a few months. I suspect I'm going to have to purchase a set of 16" rims and Blizzaks for winter.)

The turbo is a little weak in the warm weather.

The Monsoon stereo isn't worth it. Unfortunately, to get the sunroof, you have to buy it.

-Don

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

Illuminated sunroof controls.... Come on, I have that in my Golf GLS.... all it took was $110 8 feet of wire, soldering, and ordering the correct part from a W8 Passat ;-).... and about an hour of my time. You get nice red illumination PLUS two high power LED lamps that send a red glow so you can read your watch or directions under a red light at night (red doesn't mess up your eyes like other colours of light, so it's perfectly safe - as opposed to running the reading lamps).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

We were looking at '02s when they were new, and at that time, a manual transmission was not available. I don't recall what model we were interested in now, but it was lower end pricewise.

We wanted a 1.8t, so the Passat was good there, but my wife thought it felt too "lumbering" or whatever... just too big. She likes a "zippy" feeling car. I like the Jetta just fine, but I wouldn't mind the extra space of a Passat once you throw car seats into the mix.

As far as not caring about a manual, different strokes for different folks... for us, it was a requirement.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison

I was shopping for a 5-speed TDI wagon in New England in 2002 and phoning around checking availability. The douche-bag who spoke to me at Minuteman in Bedford MA told me that they definitely had a vehicle fitting the description I gave, so I drove on over - not a short trip for me. There was no such car on the lot, not even one that could be remotely mistaken for the car in question. I asked another salesbeing and he said they'd not even had any gasoline vehicles fitting that description for 2 months, never mind TDI.

Meanwhile the douche-bag started trying to sell me a gasoline 2-door coupe. Instead (having driven all that way and not wanting the trip to be a TOTAL loss) I asked her if she could get the vehicle I really wanted, so she started using their computer trying to find one. I asked her what the price would be and she said that she wouldn't tell me unless I committed to purchasing the vehicle. I asked how I could be expected to commit without knowing the price, and then I repeated my request: please name her lowest price. She said, "but if I do that you'll take that price to another dealership and try to get them to beat it!" and I said, "Well, yes, I might", and she said, "THAT'S UNETHICAL!"

Reply to
Dain Bramage