VW Golf Gti M Reg Weird Fault. Uk Model

Hi , I was ondering if any of you guys would know what causes this problem?

The Car is an M reg Golf Gti Mk3 2.0 8 Valves, and when I went to start the car, it started, and just died. I have had problems earlier on this year, and the distributer cap was replaced, the spark plugs and the leads, and that resolved the cutting out problems. Tonight I went to start the car , and it started, but just died,and lost power, I wiggled the spark plug leads, and it started.

I went to my next destination, and when I got in the car again, the sam ehappened, so this time, i took the leads off and re-seated them, and the car started fine.

Any ideas what could cause this?

All help appreciated.. :-)

Reply to
VW Internet

Yes, use factory specified parts when replacing then next time...

Also, make sure you use the dielectric grease as specified on both the cap and the plugs.

Reply to
PeterD

Peter Hi, I did use the correct parts, but what would cause the car to die, when first turned on? It only started doing it today?

Thanks

Reply to
VW Internet

Reply to
none2u

Sounds to me as if you've already found the answer to your problem?

Reply to
Madesio

  1. Correct parts includes brand (Bosch usually).

  1. The spark is usually boosted to allow easier starting. (Think 'ballast resistor' as found in older points type vehicles). Once the start mode is 'off', the spark gets weaker, then the problem shows up.

  1. That dielectric grease is *really* important to keeping the cable ends sealed from the environment.
Reply to
PeterD

uk.rec.cars.intercooled

Reply to