VW GTI VR6 GEar PROBLEM-will not go into 1st and 2nd gear

i need help from all of you. i have a 2002 vw GTI vr6 6speed and just this morning my car will not go into 1st and 2nd gear but will go to third and so forth.Please advise, on how can i deal with this considering i dont have the money for it,$3000 or more from the first quote i got.Mahalo!

Reply to
kampai

could be easy as the linkage or shift cables. get a second opinion...

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Absolutely try that first. Could also be that the clutch is binding a wee bit such that 1 & 2 are turning just enough not to mesh properly.

Will it go into these gear with the engine off and cold?

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Thanks for the help braddahs! I am trying to help my sis out with this car it used to be my car and i am not physically there to look at it. But accdg to her it is loose on first and second even when the engine is cool or off. I think the mechanic said its 2 of those Forks for 1st gear and

2nd gear,they gave her a quote of $3000 or more for that or replace the whole transmission for $4000. PLease advise.Mahalo!
Reply to
kampai

A rebuilt VW trannie (5-speed manual) runs $1200 - $1800 w/exchange from a reliable source. Installation will be less with a rebuilt than with attempting to rebuild the present unit. Figure a new clutch as it is already out of the car, maybe even stub-axles. All-in, $3000 should get you a new gearbox, clutch and installation.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

so what is exactly wrong with the car?

Reply to
kampai

Likely the 1 - 2 syncromeshers are kerflooie, for lack of a better term. If the shift lever flops about and the linkage is otherwise OK, there are broken connections within the transmission.

Of course, a second opinion and/or being shown that the external linkage is intact would be a good thing. But if so, then that tranny is toast. The moment one has to open a tranny... the costs are pretty much the same.

How does the 'actual car owner' drive? Not even implying that it is his/her fault, but if there are contributing problems such as a poorly adjusted clutch, or bad driving habits, even a very good tranny may be 'toasted' in a very few miles.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Aloha, IIRC I have seen some plastic linkage pieces break causing that problem on a couple of VR6 equipped Golfs and Passats. I would get a second opinion from a mechanic that knows VWs, or at least call one up. Search the internet for them. Go here and type in your sister's zipcode

Of course that shop could probably add their own name to the list. 8^o And some dealer ratings are here
The parts are not expensive and it is an easy replacement done without lifting the vehicle.

It might be the trans, but I am hoping not! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If the car will only go into 3rd & 4th and not 1st, 2nd, 5th & reverse then it is almost certainly a bracket where the shift cable connects to the transmission. I know because I broke that part in my '97 Passat GLX a couple of years ago. It is relatively easy the replace but does need to be adjusted a little once installed.

However, it the car will go into 5th and reverse then I do not know. It could still be that park or it could be something more serious...

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Thomas

The car is in the shop right now but can't afford the dealers quote of either replacing the two forks for the first or second gear that he is saying that needs to be replaced or replace the whole transmission. all the the gears besides 1 and 2 goes in fine and tight.

Reply to
kampai

Can you get them to show you the linkage to verify that at least it is in good shape? If you can, that will color your next decision. But DO MAKE SURE THAT it is not a linkage problem. Really. Look for a cracked bushing, or a slipping part, or something loose.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

first owner warranty on trans is 5years/60,000miles. I guess it's possible to have internal issues, but I have had one apart yet. How many miles on car?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

If they actually have to do the transmission make sure you SEE it when it's removed. There's always the chance of them screwing you by doing a simple linkage job and billing it as actual transmission work. And, of course, ask for the actual parts replaced. Once it's done look at the engine/transmission. If they actually pulled it apart it'll show signs of having been cleaned.

Reply to
Bill Kearney