VW Help!!!! Tires? -- 20th Anniversary GTI

VW Help!!!!

I just purchased a 20th Anniversary Edition GTI. I called VW customer service the other day and was told that the 18" tires were good to use in the winter. This advice conflicts with the warning that came in my manual. The Customer Service Rep that I spoke to didn't seem too technical and I obviously doubted her credibility.

I then went on the VW site and tried to send a message and the site was giving me an error when I tried to submit my inquiry. Now I'm frustrated and would like some help.

I would like to purchase steel rims and tires to use in the winter. I have two simple questions and would appreciate if these could be answered by one of the VW technical reps. 1) What issues will I have if I use 16 or 17 inch rims with snow tires? I would like to keep costs down if possible. 2) What snow tires do you recommend?

Wayne Daigle snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Reply to
Wayne Daigle

Rob Guenther

If 16"/17" wheels fit around the brakes, then try to approximate the circumference of the original wheels/tires as closely as possible to make sure the speedometer/odometer stay legit. A decent tire place or a Web site like Tire Rack's will be able to help you. What you're thinking of doing is called "minus sizing" (as fitting larger wheels/tires is called "plus sizing"). Be aware of the differences in handling as these tires are designed for totally different purposes.

You may find that your choice of snow tires is limited by the measurements. But, in a perfect world, I really like Nokian's tires (I run the Hakka Q on the packed snow and ice we "enjoy" here in Minnesota); the Qs aren't bad at all on dry pavement; I've got about

30,000 miles on mine and only now would I consider them marginal for winter service. Lots of people seem to like their WR all-season tire

-- it's supposedly better than some snow tires. A quick peek at their Web site shows some 18" sizes, too, but not any prices. Depending on weather conditions and how far you drive in the slop, the all-season may be just fine.

Other brands that generally seem to get good marks are the Bridgestone Blizzak (not the original series) and Michelin with their Arctic Alpin. I have no firsthand experience with either tire.

Good luck.

sd

Reply to
sd