VW Jetta 2.0L Water Pump

I just finished replacing the water pump on a 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L with

85K miles. Total time about 4hrs. No special tools needed, except a good pair of circlip pliers for the cam on the timing belt tensioner. The symptoms are a hot upper radiator hose, cold lower radiator hose, over heating, high pressure in the resevoir. The first diagnosis is stuck thermostat, but no such luck. The water pump has a composite plastic impeller, and it cracks in two pieces and releases from the hub of the pump shaft. There is no warning of impending failure; no sound, no leaks from the casting weep hole, and no screeching bearings, all of which are typical of American car water pump failures. Additionally, the pump is driven by the timing belt, so it is "buried" behind the timing belt covers (3 in all). The Haynes manual lays it out quite well. VW dealer wants 500 bucks just for pump replacement ($160.00 for the pump itself), and recommends replacement of timing belt, timing belt tensioner pulley & bolt, possibly camshaft and crankshaft seals if leaking, and of course serpentine belt, and possibly serpentine belt tension pulley. This brings total repair up to around 700-800 bucks, and you get a shiny new plastic impeller to boot! Too much money for a car with under 100K. I found two manufacturers of the pump with metal impellers: Airtex and Hepu. The Airtex pump has a cast brass impeller, and is made in Fairfield, IL. Cost: 60-90 bucks. The Hepu is made in Germany, and I don't know how they make the impeller, other than they claim it is not plastic. It is probably a good idea to replace at least the timing belt while you are in there, but I didn't because I could not see any appreciable wear to the belt and the timing belt tensioner pulley itself was fine. The serpentine belt tensioner pulley can be disassembled (seals removed) cleaned and the bearings repacked, although it is probably just as cheap to replace it, you can buy just the pulley itself, without the bracket, much cheaper...about 10 bucks. I ended up with less than 100 bucks in the whole ordeal, because I found the pump on Ebay for 30 bucks. Good Luck.
Reply to
kevinsharpe

Are you the first owner of the car?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Good clear story-thanks! Only note I would have given is that timing belt is gonna be due for a change based on mileage soon and it would have been wise to just take care of it while you were in there. The timing belt tensioner is one of those things where if you don't replace it, just the belt, and the tensioner seizes 20k later-you are REALLY gonna kick yourself!

I am surprised VW chose a plastic impeller. Stupid stupid stupid. I have not seen a plastic impeller on any vehicle up til now.

FWIW I'd bet the water pump on my 89 Jetta is original.

Reply to
Simplstupd

VW been using plastic impellers back a number of years even on the A3. I can tell you we use to replace a lot more A2 waterpumps than the 99.5 and up cars. The reason I ask about first owner is that it's a powertrain warranty for 10yr/100,000 miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck