VW lags in latest J.D. Power report

[Volkswagen is way behind Toyota and Honda in vehicle quality, according to the latest J.D. Power report; Volkswagen now ranks lower than General Motors. Consult the full report, however, for a given model's ranking.

The article below comes from today's New York Sun. -R.S.]

American Automakers Lag Behind Asia in Quality Toyota?s Lexus Was Best Among All Brands in J.D. Power Study

By BILL KOENIG ? Bloomberg News

Toyota Motor Corporation led an autoindustry quality study for the seventh straight year, as American car and truck brands, even with improvements, ranked behind Asian and European competitors. The industry average was the best since the J.D. Power & Associates study was revised in 1998, the marketing-research company said. General Motors Corporation stayed third among the biggest automakers, behind Toyota and Honda Motor Company. Hyundai Motor Company led South Korean makers to second by region behind the Japanese. Consumer complaints in the first 90 days of owning a new car or truck fell 11% to 119 per 100 vehicles. Automakers watch the

18-year-old American study because it can sway buyers. American brands, which rely more than rivals on rebates and loan discounts, combined were behind Japan, South Korea, and Europe. Even with gains this year, ?Ford and DaimlerChrysler must raise quality if they intend to compete without the bottom-line-draining rebates going forward,? said the director of investments at PanAgora Asset Management in Boston, Brian Bruce, who helps manage $13 billion including Ford shares. American brands averaged 123 complaints per 100 vehicles, the survey by Westlake Village, Calif.-based J.D. Power found. Japanese brands led at 111, followed by the South Koreans at 117 and the Europeans at 122. General Motors? incentives averaged $4,388 a vehicle in the first quarter, while DaimlerChrysler AG?s Chrysler spent $4,301 and Ford spent $4,258, according to CNW Marketing Research in Bandon,Oregon.Toyota?s average spending of $2,581 was highest among Asian makers, CNW said. Toyota?s score of 101 was lowest in the J.D. Power survey and improved from 115 last year. Among the major automakers with more than one brand, Honda was next at 102, down from 126; followed by General Motors, which improved to 120 from 134; Daimler-Chrysler, down to 123 from 139; Ford, which fell to 127 from 136; Volkswagen AG, unchanged at 141; and Nissan Motor Co., which rose to 147 from 135. Honda had the largest percentage improvement among those seven companies, with 19%, followed by Toyota and DaimlerChrysler with 12%. ?We saw widespread improvement across the industry,?said the senior director of vehicle research at J.D. Power, Brian Walters, in an interview. ?You can no longer say all Japanese product is superior and all domestic product is inferior.? Chrysler in a statement called the survey ?further proof that our quality initiatives are being validated.? The Auburn Hills, Mich.-based unit said its score improved 11%. Among smaller makers, Hyundai cut complaints to 102 from 143 and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG improved to 116 from 124. Porsche AG worsened to 159 from 117 a year ago. Toyota?s Lexus was best among all brands with 87 complaints per 100 vehicles, up from 76 a year ago. General Motors? Cadillac followed at 93, down from 103. Ford?s Jaguar was third with 98 complaints, a 20 percent improvement from 122 last year. Cadillac is ?hanging right up there with Lexus,? said Mike Wall, a Grand Rapids, Mich.-based analyst for consulting firm CSM Worldwide. ?Jaguar, who?d have thought it? Jag in the not-too-distant past was the butt of quality jokes.? For the second consecutive year, General Motors? Hummer had the worst score, at 173 problems per 100 vehicles. That was an improvement from 225 last year, when the most frequent complaint was about the fuel economy of Hummer?s sport-utility vehicles. The survey is based on responses from 51,000 people who bought or leased 2004-model cars and trucks. Among vehicle brands J.D. Power tracked, 30 of 37 showed improvement, Mr.Walters said. Toyota cars and trucks led in seven of the 18 vehicle categories, including four for its Lexus luxury brand. Honda vehicles were rated best in three categories. General Motors, Ford and Chrysler led in two categories each, and Hyundai and Porsche each had the top vehicle in one. Asian automakers increased their share of the American market in the first quarter to 34.6% from 32.8% in the same period last year, according to Autodata Corporation of Woodcliff Lake, N.J.The combined share of General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler, excluding their European brands, fell to 59.1% from 60.2%. The share of all European brands declined to 6.3% from 7%.

Richard Schulman (for email reply, remove the "-xyz" part)

-- "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Reply to
Richard Schulman
[Worse, VW with a score of 141, is way below the auto industry average of 119. The appended excerpts are from today's Wall St. Journal. Note that the report only measures short-term (90 day) reliability. -R.S.] Hyundai Surges in Quality Rankings

By SHOLNN FREEMAN Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL April 29, 2004; Page D4

South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co., once a laggard in the auto industry's quality competition, beat out longtime stars such as Toyota Motor Corp.'s Toyota brand and European luxury makes BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi in the latest survey of new-car quality by market-research firm J.D. Power & Associates.

Overall, J.D. Power said its 2004 Initial Quality Study found that owners of new vehicles reported just 119 problems per 100 vehicles -- the fewest number of problems since the study was redesigned in 1998. ...

Toyota, for the fifth consecutive year, finished first in the J.D. Power Initial Quality report thanks to the league-leading quality of its Lexus luxury-car line, which scored just 87 problems per 100 vehicles. The Toyota brand placed ninth with 104 problems per 100. Mercedes-Benz, which ranked below average last year, boosted its score by nearly 20% to place 10th. ... The initial-quality survey measures how cars perform in the first 90 days of ownership. This year's survey was based on 51,000 responses to a questionnaire randomly mailed by J.D. Power to nearly 225,000 new-car buyers. Indeed, the publicly released data from the survey won't tell consumers much about the performance of car models across the board or their long-term reliability. ... PROBLEMS PER 100 VEHICLES Toyota 101 Honda 102 Hyundai 102 BMW 116 GM 120 DaimlerChrysler 123 Subaru 123 Ford 127 Mitsubishi 130 VW 141 Nissan 147 Suzuki 149 Kia 153 Porsche 159

Richard Schulman (for email reply, remove the "-xyz" part)

-- "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Reply to
Richard Schulman

They have come a long way from the old Excel (used to have one). Was visiting a friend in Texas this past weekend and he just got a '04 Elantra GT and I took it for a spin. Impressive car (for the price ($13K after rebate, including power everything and leather)). Reasonably fun to drive and was screwed together well.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes, I fear VW has lost its way. I guess they figure they won't go the reliable route (Toyota and Honda have that covered), but rather something less tangible (and thus harder to dispute) like "most fun to drive." I like VWs, but with their lack of quality (and recent step towards luxury vehicles) I fear I may have to look elsewhere in the future :-(

Reply to
93 Fox

Here's the whole sad story. (Hint: jump straight to the bottom of the list)

Rank / Brand / Problems for 2004

  1. Lexus 87
  2. Cadillac 93
  3. Jaguar 98
  4. Honda 99
  5. Buick (tied) 100
  6. Mercury (tied) 100
  7. Hyundai 102
  8. Infiniti (tied) 104
  9. Toyota (tied) 104
  10. Mercedes 106
  11. Audi (tied) 109
  12. BMW (tied) 109
  13. Oldsmobile 110
  14. Volvo 113
  15. Acura 117
  16. Chevrolet 119 Industry average 119
  17. Chrysler 120
  18. Dodge (tied) 121
  19. Lincoln (tied) 121
  20. Pontiac 122
  21. Subaru 123
  22. GMC 127
  23. Ford (tied) 130
  24. Mitsubishi(tied) 130
  25. Saab 133
  26. Jeep 136
  27. Mini 142
  28. Land Rover 148
  29. Saturn (tied) 149
  30. Suzuki (tied) 149
  31. Kia 153
  32. Nissan 154
  33. Mazda 157
  34. Scion 158
  35. Porsche 159
  36. Volkswagen 164
  37. Hummer 173

Source: J.D. Power and Associates

Reply to
timeOday

Interesting spread between Toyota and Scion nameplates.

Reply to
Matt B.

New models..... New problems

Don't these problems include really stupid compaints like

Reply to
Rob Guenther

[...]

What is classified as a "problem"?

Reply to
David Magda

What kind of moron buys the biggest SUV one can buy and then complains about the mileage it gets? I would think a "problem" would be something that could be rectified with some parts and labor, not violation of the laws of physics or a redesign. Makes me wonder how valid those numbers are.

sd

Reply to
sd

I almost bought one this week. Then I read the POOR offset crash rating. This means if someone drifts over the center line and hits half your car head-on you have a slim chance of surviving. That's a BAD statistic... VERY BAD!

Reply to
Golf Guy

I don't know, but so long as it's the same for each make, it doesn't matter.

Reply to
timeOday

They are very screwed up... And think of this, if you were to buy an 80 thousand dollar Mercedes, lets say. You would be back at the dealer for the slightest bit of scuff on the brand new trim, the ever so quietest noise that shouldn't be there... So luxury cars, with far more discerning buyers, over say an Elanta, or an Echo or something like that (inexpensive cars, people excpect/don't notice some minor minor issues) will have more complaints as well.

As a VW driver, I am surrounded by an interior that exudes great fit and finish and overall quality, for the price nothing can touch it (don't say anything about how the dash falls apart/squeaks 3 years down the road, this is showroom condition I am talking about) and an exterior with the most perfect panel gaps and seams this side of an Audi (which are only slightly tighter I believe)... So when something goes amiss I would be more likely to complaint to a dealer, just so it stays nice... I don't know how the rest of you feel, but if there are more people out there like me, this would drive up the problems per model numbers.

I still think VW is a finely assembled vehicle, and well thought out car... I'd buy a Toyota (never Honda tho, don't like em at all, personal reasons) for maybe some future wife or something, if she wanted something really trouble free to drive. But i've never been let down by a VW (well okay, once... on my old 1991 Golf, because a ground wire came off a terminal, had her going in under 10 minutes)... the only thing I don't like with mine (1999.5 Golf) is that the maintenance prices, and insurance is a little high for my current income, but there is nothing I can do about that... Any other car would be almost exactly the same.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Not necessarily. The Hummer got a bad rap for fuel economy. DUH! Two pieces of evidence that Hummer owners are morons: (1) They bought one. (2) They then complain about mileage.

Reply to
TF

You can make excuses and some are reasonable. I wouldn't call any such study a strict measure of quality, but rather an indicator of certain trends. The fact that VW is at the bottom must reveal something about its quality (I don't think said luxury car buyers are buying VWs). If VW addressed its quality issues, it would far surpass Toyota/Honda in overall appeal. But sadly, VW quality seems to be getting worse :-(

Reply to
93 Fox

Yah I know what you mean... I guess since I haven't been affected by their little issues I don't see it from your side. I do have a friend who has had to goto the dealer for stupid minor problems, it doesn't really bother him tho, he loves his Golf, and doesn't mind the odd problem with it.

The only thing that's bugging me with my car is the alarm will go off sporadically within 1-2 mins of locking my doors... does this maybe 3 times a week, i've been told it's probably the door latch switch acting up - i'm not caring about it at this point, as I don't have enough money for repairs/maintenance that doesn't affect how my vehicle operates/vehicle safety/comfort... I guess it's things like this that are turning people off from VW tho.

The quality of design is there - there are almost no better cars on the road for panel fit, bumper alignment (at least on German built cars... the brazilian Golfs all have the bumper hanging down a little... right from the factory, still OKAY tho) and body gap uniformity. The seats are comfortable, the material seems to wear fairly well (tho it's a lint magnet). The dashboard and interior are very nicely done, but the coating on the dashboard won't last thru a lot of abuse, I have to be careful not to let things rub it (there is a spot work by where my right leg rests on the console)... but it looks gorgeous when new :-). The welds are nicely done, even in hidden areas. The wiring seems quite good, it's no where nearly as messy as in the older ones - and from removing some components to work on they seems very well designed.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Now that is funny.

Yeah, I suppose a make with lots of little problems could lose to one with a couple major showstopping flaws in this survey, and that would not be fair.

I sure hope that's VW's problem :) My 98 Jetta GLX has been a very fun and decently reliable car, I truly hope VW is not going downhill.

Reply to
timeOday

I don't see a number for Audi - do they not separate them? Sometimes different branches have different ratings. I think Buick had a better score than GM overall, for instance. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

"timeOday" posted a list as well:

It has Audi and BMW tied at 109.

Reply to
David Magda

Thanks - been thinking about an A6 lately. I went to a VW dealership to look at a 2000 Passat and turns out the ad was wrong (no leather, no 5-spd) so they said to try the A6 instead (has leather); very nice. Looks like one of those cars where a million things can go wrong, though (tons of gadgets) so I was wondering about the quality. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown