VW Passat 1991 loose steering

Hi,

I have loose steering on my Passat. Even when the engine is off I can easily turn the wheel about 10-15 degrees each way. Where should I look and what could go wrong to bring such problem?

Tnx!

Dgrand

Reply to
Support

Look for any loose u-joints on the steering rod in the column, loose bolt and nut on the steering rod to steering rack connection, tie rods or even loose steering rack to sub-frame mounts.

dave

Dave,

I'd like to thank you for the good advice. Indeed the steering box was loose - it was hanging on 1 out of four bolts that hold it attached to the subframe. Tightened those up and all is fixed. 40 min job DIY ... Bingo!

Cheers - I am off to a sixpack...

Dgrand

Reply to
Support

wow great news Dgrand! glad you found it and it was not expensive. ;-)

paypal donations are cheerfully accepted! lol

enjoy later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave