VW settles lawsuit over window regulators

This weekend I received an e-mail stating that the class action suit about the front window regulators was settled. Is this old news though?

Dear Consumers:   Thank you for your inquiry concerning the VW Front Window Regulator Class Action.  We are happy to inform you that the lawsuit has resulted in a significant settlement to all class members.  The class action settlement details are as follows:   a)            The settlement applies to owners and leasees of VW Jetta, GTI and Golf vehicles model years 1999-2002 and VW New Beatle vehicles model years 1998-2002; b)            VW has agreed to replace any broken front window regulators on the above-noted vehicles with new re-designed parts at no charge to the consumer; c)            VW has agreed to extend the warranty on these window regulator parts to 7 years from the date of manufacture of your vehicle; and d)            VW has agreed to fully reimburse every consumer who has had to spend any out of pocket money to repair or replace any front broken window regulator.   If you have any broken or inoperative front window regulators on the subject vehicles, simply take your vehicle to your local authorized VW dealership for repairs and replacements at no cost to you.  If you have receipts for any reimbursement requests for monies you may have spent to repair or replace broken window regulators, please mail your request and copies of your receipts to:   Volkswagen of America, Inc. Customer Care Center Window Reimbursement Request

3499 West Hamlin Road Rochester Hills ,MI  48309   If you have any problems receiving the benefits noted above, please feel free to contact us.

Todd E. Hilton, Esq. Stueve Helder Siegel LLP

330 West 47th Street Kansas City ,MO 64112 816-714-7118 tel 816-714-7101 fax Visit us on the web at <

----------- Read

Subscribe
Op-ed articles, humor columns, true stories of zany exploits, and a business dictionary. Topics include news, sports, business, life, arts and entertainment, sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

Reply to
Zach

Yep, the VW owner gets FREE window regulars and the lawyers got MILLIONS $$$$$$. Wonder even if the law firm lawyers even own VW's?

Reply to
Woodchuck

VW had already voluntarily agreed to replace the window regulators. The Lawyers received $450,000 and three plaintiffs that were named in the suit received $1500 each

Lawyers still suck

Reply to
thatguyontheweb

This should never have gotten to the point where lawyers were able to taste blood in the water...a big black mark for VW.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Yes I agree, we techs saw it coming years in advance!

Woodchuck

Dam, I knew I should have listened to my parents and become a lawyer! Now I would be driving a Phaeton fro more than 20 minutes during the PDI!

Lawyers received $450,000

Reply to
Woodchuck

And you guys are the ones who have to take all the crap that comes along with stuff like this. That has gotta suck when you are caught in the middle of that.

Reply to
Tony Bad

True, but if it wasn't for the lawyers, VW wouldn't have paid a damn cent.

----------- Read

Subscribe
Op-ed articles, humor columns, true stories of zany exploits, and a business dictionary. Topics include news, sports, business, life, arts and entertainment, sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

Reply to
Zach

Do you honestly think VW would have agreed to anything had it not been for the threat of a worse result at trial? And who would have given that result......a jury of people who buy cars and know what its like to be treated poorly....or well. Lawyers don't make the law, they only seek to have it applied.

Lets not confuse a great legacy of products and reliability for what Volkswagen USA chose to perpetrate on its customers, many of them lifelong. I had my regulator replaced three times, and finally had a machine shop fabricate a reliable part (it wasn't rocket surgery!) for me at my cost. If it takes lawyers to get VWOA to understand that this is no way to build repeat business, then Thank God for lawyers. Maybe next time the company will take reposnsibility for it's own actions before someone else has to take them to the woodshed.

If I were a shareholder, I'd REALLY be pissed!

Derek

Reply to
Derek A. Bill

And when VW came out with the official repair information they cut the time we get paid to do the job.

Reply to
Woodchuck

now they'll be buying Phaetons.............

"and the lawyers got MILLIONS

Gazoo

I guess the lawyers should have worked for free and had the clients finance the hundreds of thousands of dollars to finance the suit.

Lawyers received $450,000

Reply to
tf

Why weren't Passats included in the affected list?

Frank, whose '99 Passat has permanently "up" right-rear window.

Regulator

authorized VW

entertainment,

Reply to
Frank Pajerski

Passats use a different design regulator and aren't prone to failure. I'm lucky if I replaced more than 5 regulators since 1998.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Too bad the lawsuit didn't cover all the years that VW has been stuffing crappy window regulators in cars. Ask about it with owners with A2's and A3's. My Corrado has both window regs gone bad, and at $500 a piece for just the Window reg. no motor. $1000 for parts is rediculous.

Reply to
Donald Sherwood