VW TV ADVERTISING

Is it just me, or has VW gone out of the auto business and is just selling car radios now days??? Their latest TV ad for the new Jetta, showing a guy driving executives from his company --- the boss reaches for the radio button and gets a blast of noise (well, some people would call it music). And that is supposed to sell cars???

I've seen a second one -- just as dumb -- but only once.

Hey, VW employees: If you want to keep your job, you'd better tell your bosses to dump their current advertising company and go back to one of the old ones --- maybe the "fahrferneugen" one??

Just askin

Reply to
vw_owner

There can be such a thing as a dumb/bad commercial but for the most part if you see a commercial that you don't "get", it usually means you're not the target audience for that particular product.

Reply to
Matt B.

VW TV advertising? You mean VW actually has them? I haven't seen any lately. The ones they did for the Beetle back in the 1960s were sheer genius, and got a lot of media attention - much to the dismay of GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Reply to
Papa

VW has always been known for quirky ads. It's part of the cachet.

The commercial in question is obviously targeted to the 18-25 Gen X-er.

Reply to
Eradicate Sampson

Yeah, but think back to some of those great old print ads. Many had unusual pictures of the cars, or had them in odd spots, where the car was barely visible. Remember the classic where the big wording under the ad was Lemon? According to the original posters theory, one would have bought a lemon rather than a VW after seeing this ad.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Da-Da-Dum

Da-Da-Dum

....... This is the one I remember the most - perhaps they should show off the Jetta's huge 16cu ft trunk by picking up sets of golf clubs or something.

The commercials seem to reach out to people my age (early 20's) - getting mature and responsible... but not quite there yet... Tho the Mk4 definatly has more appeal then the current model for people my age.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

No, see what this commercial shows is that Jetta is for the hip young guy who has great business savvy, also the Jetta is stylish and roomy enough to lug the executives around... From what I've seen - I don't think you really want to have passengers in the back for really long time.

Reply to
JJ Braunius

I guess that's where the term "lemon" for a bad car came from? Or the term "buggy" in software development?

Reply to
JJ Braunius

Buggy, or a "bug" in software/hardware comes from a dead bug (moth I believe) in one of the old vacuum tube computers, it screwed something up - causing certain circuits to not function... they found the bug and removed it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It depends on how far back the front seats are pushed back. While not

*extremely* roomy, I have've had more than one person who has taller that 6'3'' in the back, and they said it was reasonable.

Of course this was for shortish trips (less than an hour), but you could do much worse.

This is a 2003 Golf with four doors.

Reply to
David Magda

Teenagers don't count. Must have been the Popes Golf.

Reply to
Peter Parker