Want to Buy Used Jetta or Passat Need Advice

I am shopping for a used Jetty or Passat wagon and would like to get as much information as I can to make an educated decision. Isn't there a site where I can read reviews of these used cars and find out what years to stay away from? If any of you have any advice it would be most appreciated. I'd like to spend approx $10,000 and would prefer a manual transmission. Thanks

Reply to
csonsini

Use Google to search for reviews. Join the VWVortex forums for expert advice and for VW models for sale. Take a look at Ebay Motors for VW (or any make) cars for sale.

Reply to
Papa

Here's a good starting place:

Jettas are the same '80-'84 (Mk1 or A1), '85-'92 (A2), '91-'98 (A3), and '99-'05 (A4) so hopefully that will let you compare model years.

Reply to
tylernt

In the US, Jetta wagons were in model years 2001-2005. Passat wagons were offered in a wider range of model years.

Be sure that all service records match up with the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. Be sure that the correct oil was used for 1.8T engines (synthetic, VW 502.00 rated) and TDI engines (varies based on model year, but 2004+ require VW 505.01 rated oil).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Which ever you purchase, buy an extended warranty!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck