wanted: air box for 1989 Fox

My fox has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks. After trying everything I could think of I gave up and took it in. They're convinced it's the airbox and can't find one. Anyone know of where I can get one?

Reply to
tom collins

If it's digifant, then perhaps what's wrong is the MAF flapper binding.

Have them see if they can clean it, and the contacts for the plug. It's not a high failure part, but it is likely very expensive. If they can't find parts like this, perhaps they're in the wrong business, though...

What was the problem that brought it into the shop in the first place?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Hetzel
89 was still CIS-E! Sure they didn't say fuel distributor? Time to find another shop...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Actually I called the guy yesterday to pin him down on what they were looking for and it's the air fuel meter. Is that the top of the air box?

Reply to
tom collins

Many names, air/fuel meter, fuel distributor and probably more... Very rare to have to change them, but I have change a couple in the past!

What is it doing or not doing? Something more descriptive than "not-running" would help! :-)

It could be as simple as your fuel injection fuse, or a CTS, or a relay, or a wiring problem, or a bad fuel pressure regulator, or ????

dave

a couple months ago it wouldn't run cold. It would start great, but I'd have to keep starting it (10-20 times) until it was warm enough to keep running, then it would be run fine. In the afternoon when it was warmer it ran ok.

I tried a bunch of stuff myself, like new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel & air filter, I also tried different (from an extra motor) thermo switch, cold start valve, fuel pump check valve and probably other stuff i can't remember. Finally I took it to the a shop known for VW expertise. They had it for about 4 days and replaced the plenum gasket and did some adjustments. It then started and ran better, but when warm it would stall at stop lights unless I rolled my foot over on the gas to keep the revs up. I took it back and they adjusted again, same problem and I took it back again, (luckily they haven't charged me for the times I took it back), now I'm back to where it won't run cold and this afternoon it took me 10 min. to get the car started and warmed enough so I could be on my way. When I took it to the shop (where it still remains) it wasn't running good cold or hot. It stalled 1/2 way there and took me 5 min to get it started again.

When I talked to the shop on Tuesday, I asked them how sure they were that it was this air fuel meter, I wanted to know before I laid out any big bucks for one. He said they've checked EVERYTHING else. Right now I'm guess I gonna wait one more day for more replies and pick one fairly cheap, good warranty and low miles.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, and hopfully you'll soon see a post that it's fixed!

Reply to
tom collins

UMMM all they did was change a gasket and do some adjustments? Then the problem changed until they readjusted something and the original problem came back? UMMMM

It sounds like it could be a FI coolant temperature sensor problem and they want to guess at the problem. So many things could cause that problem, you need to eliminate all possibilities before shelling out big bucks for the Fuel Distributor. You do have gas in the tank...........right? lol Now that is a common problem. :-) Are both fuel pumps in good shape? Do you hear any buzzing from them?

I did have to change the fuel distributors on two vehicles (out of many that I have worked on), but they did not want to run at all and everything else WAS fine. And they ran fine after the USED F-distributors were installed. ;-)

If you doubt their diagnosis, try to find a place the specilizes in VWs that come recommended!! cartalk.com might have a shop recommendations list. A second opinion should not hurt too much. ;-)

dave

I tried replacing the coolant temp sensor, no change. The fuel pump is loud, but they said the pressure was good. Should I get them to try replacing the fuel pump? I do believe these guys when they say they've tried everything else. What helps their credibility is that they haven't charged me for the 3-4 times I brought it back. Of course they haven't fixed it yet either...

Reply to
tom collins

yes go for the $40, that sounds cheap to try

the noisy MAIN fuel pump worries me!!! Did they check the transfer pump in the gas tank? very common for these to go bad and create running problems and a noisy fuel pump! could be just a very dirty strainer on it! :-)

dave