Warped TDI head, how to deal with this?

My friend has a Passat TDI with a warped head. The big question is, whats the best course of action? It's hard to find any mechanics around here that have any experience with TDIs, other than the dealers who are all crooked. The way we see it, we have three options

  1. Get the head rebuilt. We have no problem with pulling and sending it somewhere, but we need to know who to send it to. We aren't going to send it to any old machine shop, we need to send it to someone with experience unwarping/rebuilding aluminum diesel heads, preferably with TDI specific experience. Can anybody name any names?

  1. Get a new head. Any good sources? There aren't any TDIs in the junkyards around here.

  2. Get a new engine. Any good sources? There aren't any TDIs in the junkyards around here.

Clues will be appreciated.

Best regards, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Laughlin

Ask at

I'm sure you can get used heads and advise on rebuilding yours. As I understand it they are heated untill almost melting then strightend. When they warp even the cam journals are warped and the cam actally bends as it turns. Not good! So milling it stright is not a solution on a overhead cam engine.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

There should be a local shop that specializes in straightening warped aluminum heads. Ask around. The really good ones will take most or all of the warp out with an oven, prestressing it with wedges. Done right, only a little machine truing is required.

|But they can cut down the cam clips and line rebore the cam journals. |Good as new except for a few issues. The tight piston to valve |clearance may be less. Cam timing is even off more than just a plane |job. | |"Joe R" wrote: | |>Ask at

I'm sure you can get used heads and advise on |>rebuilding yours. As I understand it they are heated untill almost melting |>then strightend. When they warp even the cam journals are warped and the cam |>actally bends as it turns. Not good! So milling it stright is not a solution |>on a overhead cam engine. |>

|>Joe |>

|>> 1. Get the head rebuilt. We have no problem with pulling and sending |>> it somewhere, but we need to know who to send it to. We aren't going |>> to send it to any old machine shop, we need to send it to someone with |>> experience unwarping/rebuilding aluminum diesel heads, preferably with |>> TDI specific experience. Can anybody name any names? |>>

|>> 2. Get a new head. Any good sources? There aren't any TDIs in the |>> junkyards around here. |>>

|>> 3. Get a new engine. Any good sources? There aren't any TDIs in the |>> junkyards around here. |>>

|>> Clues will be appreciated. |>>

|>> Best regards, |>> Jeff |>

| | |Jim B.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

|My limited experience with shops is "We haven't seen a VW head in |years." to cracked heads where they pressed in new guides. There may |be a good head shop in town but how to find them?

I'd find out who the racers use. You could start at

forums, VW Also, check the VW sites like vwvortex.com. There is also at least one site devoted to TDIs Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

You may also try

They have several forums but try "101" first.

Reply to
Ernest