water leak in 1999 VW Passat GLX

I have an unidentified water leak in my 99 passat. The water is collecting on the front passenger side and rear passenger side. From just under the dash to the rear seat. Water is collecting under the floor board and soaking the floor board. Water collected at shorted out the computer modular under the floor board.

Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas where the leak could be coming from? We?ve checked the windsheild, sunroof, and firewall.

Reply to
kheiserm

From

Most likely it's coming in from the cabin air filter housing which sits under the base of the windshield on the passenger side. The plastic cover (which must be removed in order to replace the cabin air filter) is suppose to route water away from the housing, but chances are it's not sealing correctly for whatever reason. Not sure how you can diagnose this to pinpoint the problem, but definitely start with that plastic cover.

Steve

Reply to
sfoy

My guess is the drain line from the A/C is clogged. Next I would suggest the sunroof if you have one. Their drains also clog often. Next I would check the vent area in front of the windshield, finally the door seals.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"sligojoe_spamn" wrote: > kheiserm wrote: > > I have an unidentified water leak in my 99 passat. The > water is > > collecting on the front passenger side and rear passenger > side. From > > just under the dash to the rear seat. Water is collecting > under the > > floor board and soaking the floor board. Water collected > at shorted > > out the computer modular under the floor board. > >

Where is the drain line for the A/C? We checked the sunroof at it?s clear. That was our first thought as well. We were going to check the B pillar between the front and rear door to see if it?s coming in through there. The windsheild seems clear and it?s doesn?t seem to be coming in through the vents.

Reply to
kheiserm

kheiserm wrote: ...

Normally it will show up as a small rubber hose coming out from under the car in front of where the passenger rest their feet. The best method of cleaning is compressed air. A wire can be used, but it has been known to damage the hose or the A/C

Reply to
Joseph Meehan