water puddle under car

Hello -- I bought an '04 Passat wagon about a week ago. The past couple of mornings I've noticed a small puddle of water (it appears clear and has no smell so I'm guessing it's just water) under the front drivers side. It's been too dark and I've been in too much of a hurry to try and figure out where it might be coming from under the hood. It's been cold here so I haven't been using the AC, and I haven't been driving it more than 3-4 miles per day. Anybody have any idea what might be causing this? CAC

Reply to
chris.clemmons

the defroster runs the air conditioner to remove moisture < water have you been running the defroster on these 'cold' days?

Reply to
samstone

Reply to
chris.clemmons

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com () wrote in news:45a65f87.2621811@localhost:

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Reply to
chris.clemmons

At outside temperatures above 35 F or 2C the air conditioner compressor is operative. That is the first sentence in my vw's owners manual under defrosting/ defogging/dehumidifying. Because he said the puddle was water and not ice I gave the poster an opinion as to from where the water came. Do you have a better guess?

Reply to
samstone

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com () wrote in news:45a67c83.10043061@localhost:

Clever.

OK.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Ka-ching!

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
chris.clemmons

Reply to
none2u

Yes, that's why VW has a compressor cut off switch when temps get cold. I think it's around the 45-50*f area. AC compressor CAN'T pump liquid Freon.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yes, that's why VW has a compressor cut off switch when temps get cold. I think it's around the 45-50*f area. AC compressor CAN'T pump liquid Freon.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u

It's actually at higher temperatures, not lower ones, that it runs the A/C. On my Mk2 GTI it runs at 35F and above.

Reply to
Matt B.

Nope. Not only does it run down to 35F automatically (in most cars when the defogger is used) but in the wintertime you want to run your A/C for about

20 minutes every few weeks anyway. It keeps the seals lubricated.
Reply to
Matt B.

You home A/C has instructions about that. It can damage you home A/C as no one in their right mind would be running them at that time (OK Heat pumps excepted). Actually it is a little more complex than that, but that is the general idea.

On some old cars the same situation may have existed. However all modern cars I know of are designed to allow the A/C to run at any time. It is used in most if not all cars when the defrost is turned on.

I don't know if it is still true with today's cars as the refrigerant has changed, but in the old days it was recommended that you turn on the A/C like once a week to keep the seals in good shape and to prevent leaks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

These comments have me thinking:

My A/C on my '84 Rabbit doesn't work. My defroster works. I don't use it often, but do occasionally as needed. So obviously, when my defroster is on, my A/C isn't running. What is the result of that? Since A/C was an option on these rabbits, were the defroster's designed differently on non-A/C rabbits?

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

unscientific ( observed w/ repeatablity but not documented) tests show that the a/c running cuts down on the time to clear the window in 1/3 less time.

Reply to
samstone

Taste it and you'll soon know whether it's water, coolant, or oil. A drop or two won't hurt.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Reply to