Water pump or timing belt problems with ATQ V6 30V Engine?

I have a 2001 Passat V6 30V Passat (ATQ engine) with about 65k miles. I have read elswhere about water pump problems (plastic impeller) with this engine but I do not know if the problem was resolved before my engine was built or if the problem was resolved at all. My car is an Auto and is not driven hard; it is currently running like new.

My questions are:

- Have any of you experienced water pump failure with this engine? after how many miles?

- Is a timing belt replacement required by 60k. (The VW documentation has some conflicts in this area)

- is it likely that I could experience a 'early' water pump failure that would ultimately damage the engine as others have suggested?

For example, i found this on vw.com website today:

"Timing Belt replace - Recommended replacement at 40,000 miles (64,000 km) and 80,000 miles (128,000 km)" in regards to this model year and engine.

However, the chart on the same vw.com page only shows to check the timing belt at 40k miles. Also my owner's manual only specifies to check the timing belt at 40k intervals but I am not sure what exactly to check for.

My thinking is that the most conservative thing to do would be to replace the timing belt, water pump, possibly idlers and the coolant as PM but this much service this soon seems excessive and expensive.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mark

Inspection.......what do you look for, it could appear OK but then break the next day.

As for me, Audi V6 30V Auto and like you careful driving with 61K miles. I had the lot changed, belts, idlers, water pump etc. While they are in there they might as well be done..........cost £550. 1 days work.

Funny thing the Audi dealership said 40K miles or 80K miles so I hit midway.

Reply to
Harry

- Have any of you experienced water pump failure with this engine?

First owner then 10yr/100k warranty. It's not a common problem as most say it is. I haven't really don't that many in the last year to consider the water-pump as a common failure. We service over 100 VW's a week and I would say I have replaced maybe 2 in the last year. As for replacement VW service states 105,000miles here in the USA. But my personal 99 GLX 2.8 Passat has a sticker under the hood which states 75k miles. This sticker isn't present on later years, but I ca tell you when mine gets replaced along with the waterpump and rollers. YEP... 75k miles. It's best to talk to your local dealer as they can best recommend when to replace stuff as climate has some to do with it. Smog & Ozone & heat, etc can and is rough on rubber parts!

Remember the only owner who complaints is the one who's belt or WP fails.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Unfortunately, I am not the original owner. I bought it used/certified and that warranty is expired. The car is in wisconsin so excess heat should not be a problem and as I mentioned I do not drive the car hard. The roughest duty is probably the stop and go traffic in the summer.

In any case, my concern is over the variation in VW's recommendations.. even having conflicts within one single document (the maintenance schedule on their website). The variation was one more piece of evidence of a special reliability/design isse.

I will not replace these parts now at 65k unless there is a very compelling reason to. I would then revisit the question at 75k. I will try to do an inspection of the belt though because that is free.

Lost > - Have any of you experienced water pump failure with this engine? >

Reply to
Mark

V6 VW engine IMHO runs hotter than the 4cyl engines VW makes. These engines will probably never see 200K miles of use compared to the

4cyl VW engine. This is JMO. Therefore, they don't interest me. The VR6 is also a hot running engine but has been around longer. VR6s have seen some high miles from what I have read but I haven't seen an old VR6 on the road lately. Every once in a while you see one around and lots of old A2s, even rabbits from time to time.

However, my Jeep I6 4.0L engine in my YJ is now at 204000 miles and still going strong. These engines remind me of the old slant six Dodge dart engines that used to never die back in the old days when I was still tiny. :) The inline engines seem to be more reliable IMHO. V engines never seem to reach that 150K mile mark too often let alone 200K miles.

Of course, I swapped out the old ratty falling apart aluminum radiator with a three core metal one. I also change the water pump on my Jeep and all of the hoses including a new thermostat at 189000 miles. That is when I bought the Jeep for next to nothing. I was at the right place at the right time. The PO was trading it to get a new vehicle. The stealer low balled the trade in value and I just offered him $100 more. Done deal. :)

No idea why VW has such bad documentation. However, this isn't going to help you in any court battle, so you might as well figure it out and make your own maitenance schedule documents for your specific vehicle. Foreign OEMs tend to try to make an all in one document or manual to save on the translation and document expenses. Look at the Bentley manual. My Jeep manual is thicker than any of my Bentley manuals and it is only made for my year model.

And holding your breath until you turn blue doesn't matter either until you have a problem. You might as well budget some monies for future jobs. You know, you don't have to go to the dealer to get the maintenance done. Any good independant VW shop can do it or you can join a VW club and learn to DIY. The bad thing about VWs is that surprise cost of something going wrong and you have to fork out lots of unnessasary cash that could have been avoided by keeping your coolant flushed every 2 years and all the other DIY goodies that come with owning a vehicle.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Run hotter... don't think so since the thermostats have all the same degree opening. Which is about 195*F

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Sure they do. I don't mean thermostat temp type temperature. I mean the engine compartment type temp and the surrounding area. These engines are just too big for the tight compartments that they are in. They are heavier which will eventually wear out the front end struts faster on Jettas etc. Oh sure, you can have the 195F temp water but the heat that comes off these babies in the summer time is enough to knock back the typical 4 cyl owner. The cars don't handle as well as a 4cyl because of the front end weight. I've heard many people say that who have driven them.

Yes, the are like a blast furnace after a good drive in the summer time.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Peter,

do you have this V6 30V (ATQ) engine in one of your vehicles? If so I am curious to know if you have had temperature related problems. The only engine-related problem I have had is an oxygen sensor failure in the heating circuit. I am trying to learn what maintenance is required so I can keep the car past the 200k limit that you refer to.

thanks > > >Run hotter... don't think so since the thermostats have all the same degree

Reply to
Mark