Water Temperature gauge.

I have an 84' Jetta w/1.7L engine. The water temp. needle goes to the little dot after the LED indicator. While idling, the needle goes a hair above that and the fan comes on and the needle drops back to the dot, and the fan cuts off. The temp sensor/sender is a month old. Is this gauge behavior correct? The LED doesn't come on while eng. is running. Here is a ASCII representation of the gauge.

LED ind. | Needle stays here and a little above | | . . || 0 ||

^ ^ | | The two sets of piping symb. (vert. lines) represent the start and end of the thick solid white lines on the gauge.

Reply to
Jerritt

yup...thats normal

My Jetta does the same thing

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Yep it's normal.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hey man

Let me be the guy who disagrees here. I dont find it normal, unless you consider your car running too hot normal. Yes they do run hot, but yes they aso can overheat and yes they can also catch fire. WIth that said, will yours catch fire? Probably not. I experienced the same thing with two of my Jettas. I replced the fan switch with one that comes on at a lower temp, also I replaced the thermostat with a "full-flow" model(opens pretty much right away, and not a good application in really cold weather) I also installed a switch under my dash that is powered from acc. voltage(turns off when car is off). So the bypass switch essentially allows me to turn on the rad fan at my whim, and in the summer I leave the switch on all the time. I also flushed the rad which is a pain in the ass as there is no petcock from which to truly drain the stuff out. All in all, IMHO ;) they run too hot, and it can be 'fixed' or at the least monitored to a better degree than just hoping its normal.

John

[...]

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Define too hot, the system is designed like that, so it's right.

LOL, right, so the water being at 120 degrees (must be right off the scale) is lightly to lead to spontainious fire, where as the exaust pipe running at 600 degrees isn't?

Just cause you're paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you right ;-)

Will

Reply to
William Munns

What do you mean by too hot, what's the temperature in degrees? Thermostats on most older VWs open just about 180degrees with running temps about 190 give or take a few degrees. From memory the fan would come on just over

200degrees. Now if your VW has AC the fan runs 100% of the time anyways as long as the AC is on.

Reply to
Woodchuck

William Munns wrote in news:c53bs1$2nvc7g$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-177444.news.uni-berlin.de:

All temps quoted in DegC, and from top of head, my head, not the engines, although the engines head is where you'd see the temps

Reply to
William Munns

Some people are just way too paranoid to be allowed to drive and own a car. The below excerpt is a perfect example.

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker