Website for pricing a non-running, perfect '87 Vanagon

I have an '87 Wolfsburg Vanagon that is in great shape- except for the hole in the engine from when it threw a rod. I had just bought a new clutch for the derned thing and really thought I would use it for a few more years, or longer, but alas, it was not to be. Finally last night my husband realised that he isnt' going to do the Audi/Subaru/Jetta or whatever conversion so I want to sell it. I know there used to be a blue book type of site for pricing a vehicle that doesnt' run, but when I looked on the NADA site, I didnt' see that option. Does anyone have an idea of where to find it? Anyone want to buy it? It's in Boulder, Colorado and has been garaged.

===== Kate,

Mom to Ursula (9), Sage (7!!), Benno (3) "You can tell the qualityof a person by how they treat people they don't need." ~ a wise dad

For older attached kids' parents. :-)

Reply to
Kate

The best way to find the value is to do book value and then subtract what it would cost to replace the engine.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't know about blue book values for these, if there are any. And if there were, I don't think there are enough '87 Wolfsburg Vanagons out there to get a good estimate from a book.

I also own a 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon, which runs, and I drive all over the place to VW campouts, but has quite a few mechanical problems. I have been looking to replace it. Based on my searches on eBay, The Samba, and other classified sites, I don't think a running one would go for much more than $3,000, if that, and a non running one, my guess, is much less than $1,000, maybe not half that. It might be better to sell it part by part.

I'm in a similar situation with deciding what to do with mine. It does run, but needs more money put into it than I want to risk if I were to sell it. If I were to keep it, it would be worth fixing.

Good luck with yours.

Reply to
Ed

actually, I found something on Kelly Blue Book that lets you put in the data, including the fact that the engine needs replacing and they give a price. Of course, their price was really high so I cut it in half. :-O

we didnt' have any problems with ours until the engine got a hole in it.

It might be better to sell it part by part.

I called a "we buy cars" guy from the local paper and he told me that it was in too good shape to part out- if that makes sense. He's kinda looking for someone who wants it, or a used engine to just pop into it- I'm going to offer it at my garage sale next weekend :-), put up signs at VW shops in Boulder and Denver... If it doesnt' sell, my community radio station KGNU will get it to auction off, but I think the cash is worth more than the tax deduction. of course, it

*is* taking up an entire bay of my garage and I'd like to see that space used for something else...

anyway- have you thought about a conversion to a Subaru, Jetta or Audi?

===== Kate,

Mom to Ursula (9), Sage (7!!), Benno (3) "You can tell the qualityof a person by how they treat people they don't need." ~ a wise dad

For older attached kids' parents. :-)

Reply to
Kate
Reply to