What Age for VW dealer tech to retire???

I found out my old vw dealer tech retired. He told me a story and so here it is. After being a tech for over 30 years, he told me that it was all pretty much a waste of his life. No retirement pension or health insurance. Anyway. He was getting into his mid 50's and the back-pain was getting harder to bear. The advil cocktails going to sleep at night and the pre-work pain-killers no longer helped enough to get him through the day. The constant bending into the engine compartment and working with his arms up under the jacked up car was getting unbearable.

It was time to leave the dealer tech job and start something else in a different state close to relatives there. Get away from the old and start a new. Maybe fixing up antiques, or buying stuff at estate sales and selling them on Ebay.

Another reason why I wouldn't want to be a dealer tech. No retirement future in it. Sometimes you might get lucky and be kept as a parts man or a driver of some sorts. Of course the IRA or 401K is there but then your aged and broken body also needs long-term care.

It appears that age creeps up like in other many different careers but the physical jobs are harder to keep due to age and injuries.

On the flip side, I also currently know people much older and still working hard but not in the dealer tech field. For example a 94 year old who has his own model design business and is still going strong every day. Every time I see this guy, I know there is hope for the rest.

Remember Colonel Sander's? He started KYC with his social security check at the age of 65. There is still hope to make it big.

EOS

Reply to
Peter Parker

Age varies between individuals when being a problem, but 2 different but related body movements seem to be common. Impact and repetitive motions affecting joints. People can adjust to these by doing less of these if not a continuous requirement of the job.

That's where one can make the adjustment by doing less of the two motions repetively.

Over time, the cost of health care is usually more expensive that maintaining some semblance of the way of living the person is used to.

Only due to demands by such jobs, and not going to something less strenuous, or making those adjustments within the job description.

It varies between the individual, their activities, their lifelong impact and repetive motions affecting joints, ligaments, and muscles.

Unrelated. He did alot but wasn't terribly physically active. When he did the KFC franchise shortly later after 65, it was more of a supervisory capacity than active participation.

You don't have to "make it big" to be physically capable and successful in life. Just know your limits, and how those limits are due to your activity prior to reaching an age where your activity may be limited. Your body has lifelong expectations of use, don't burn it up too soon. The vast majority never "make it big", yet, that isn't a factor in the latter part of life except for the unlearned of life few. These are the afraid, fearful, scared of living people. Don't think it was a VW retired tech in your example... Nor the big headed native Kentuckian who pursued his dreams...

Reply to
Jonny

My brother is in his mid 50's. He has worked as a mechanic most of his adult life. He finally moved out to Colorado where he can fish in the morning if he wants. He has needed to move there for 30 years.The place will probably help him lose weight. Ijust don't see many big people out in the area he moved to. Yes he has next to nothing but a lot of tools, some fishing poles and some hunting rifles. I don't think his body is in that bad of shape.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Reply to
Regal53

I remember the days when you could switch from one dealer to another because of your good reputation and the new dealer would accept your 100K salary and you could cherry pick your jobs. Now times have changed and you are correct about the "starvation wages".

Most dealers like Ford make lots of cash with the usual Ford truck breakdown jobs. Ball Joints, brakes, etc. Sometimes they make more profit than sales. Toyota on the other hand sell over 100 vehicles a month so their profit is way better than the service dept.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Jim Behning