what oil viscosity for 2000 Jetta 2.0L?

I am going to change the oil on my friends 2000 Jetta 2.0L. He doesn't have the manual...does anyone know what the recommended viscosity is during winter in the NorthEast? I am guessing 5w30, but thought I would check first. I am not using synthetic by the way.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Also, anybody know the recommended timing belt change interval? Thanks.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Also, does anyone know the timing belt change interval? Thanks.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

5W40, with the VW 502.00 rating. Timing belts -- VW says inspect every 40 kilomiles, replace as necessary. Bentley says replace at 90k, old-timers say replace at 60k.
Reply to
Brian Running

Huh? This would be a 2.0L 8V, not the 2.0T. I can't believe that 5W40

502.00 would be required - that's what's required for the 2.0T AIUI.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Honest! VW specs 502.00 for the 2.0 8V engine. As a famous guy once said, "You can look it up."

Reply to
Brian Running

some dealers here in the Chicago area would use Castrol 5W-30 (non-synthetic) in the 2.0 engines along with the possibly long life (finer mesh?) oil filter. So call your local dealer and see what they use.

timing belts for the 2.0 8V "should" last way beyond 90K miles, but that is a good time to change them. ;-) I have seen the ones on the 1998 Jettas go to 140K miles before they break.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My friend says he normally has the oil changed at the dealer and it costs him somewhere in the high 20's for the filer/oil change...I figure there is no way that they are using a full synthetic for that change and most likely are using dino oil 5w-30.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Here is what VWoA says for 1998-2006 VW gasoline engines in the US:

Timothy J. Lee
502.00
seem to be synthetic, but VW recommends changing every 10K miles under normal conditions for your engine. Please use the proper oil filters, VW or MANN!
in to see your maintenance schedule Now if you are beyond any sort of warranty, then do as you wish! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That doesn't mean that the dealer is using the right oil. The design of the 2.0 dates back to the early 70's and AFAIK requires a xW40 oil for most normal temperatures.

nate

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
N8N