What VW Stereos would fit my '91 Cabriolet?

Hi folks! I'm new here. Bought a '91 VW Cabriolet last year and don't like the bright blue Kenwood light show that was in the dash when I bought it. I would like to put back the factory radio that came with it. Up to now I have had no luck finding info on the web or in my owners' manual about what radio came with it or which years/ models/options will fit. Used VW radios abound on e-bay. Whoever hacked the light show installation left enough of the original wiring that I could do a plug-and-play installation if I had the original radio or one that was 'plug-compatible'.

Naturally, I would like to put in the best set that will fit. If you've got a radio for sale that will work, please send me info. If you can tell me what years/models would work, I'd appreciate it. If there is a web resource I have somehow overlooked, I would appreciate a link.

Please don't tell me that an aftermarket setup is better. The one in the car is poorly matched to the VW amplified speakers. Activ, or whatever they call it. I'm not interested in replacing the factory speakers and amps. I am not an audio nut. I used to own a shop and I hated all the aftermarket stereos in the cars we worked on. The controls are all awkward. At my age I can't read the tiny print on them and I don't have the desire to learn their idiosyncracies.

I like the factory radio in my '82 Mertcedes and the one that was in my '91 Peugeot. I have a spare Peug radio. It has TV channels 2-13 and weather band. I would try putting it in the VW if it were plug- and-play. It's not.

I appreciate your help. Thanks and happy fahrnfeneugen (sp?).

Don

Reply to
Don

Ebay item # 280106933361 should be the plugs if yours are missing. Some antenna leads/radios need adapters to connect. Some later model radios might need amplification to work properly along with a code. This 2000 radio may even work (Ebay # 320106132456) but you will need the code and necessary antenna adapter and wiring plugs.

Here is a buy it now shipped to you for only $24 total that should perfectly fit like the original. ;-) Ebay 170105018708

Now on this list someone may do an even exchange for your Kenwood!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

You could go through The Parts Place.

have used radio's.