Whats is the timing belt changing interval for a Golf TD from 1990?

Whats is the timing belt changing interval for a Golf TD from 1990?

Greeting from Denmark....

Mic

Reply to
DerGolf

Every 60,000 miles (96,000 km), or 4 years.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Thanks... mic

Reply to
DerGolf

60,000 miles seems really high. I have changed timing belts on a Nova, Chevette, Fiat, VW and Ford Ranger. The belts look very similar ie a fiberglass reinforced rubber toothed belt. Fiat recommended 45,000. My Chevette broke at 65,000. Maybe I'm just overcaution, but I usually shoot for around 45,000. In any case, if I have to tension the belt myself, I am conservative about the replacement interval, but if it as a spring loaded tensioner, then I am more silling to trust the manufacturer's suggested interval. Remember, you can damage your valve train on some vehicles if it breaks while in motion.

Gool luck!

Reply to
RepairJunkie

Go to :

...and click on "Timing Belt Replacement Guide..."

...for the replacement intervals for just about everything that *has* a timing belt, whether the engine is an interference engine, etc.

You'll find that according to Gates (and they ought to know!):

- The interval for Fiats ranges from 25-36,000 miles but none are interference engines

- The interval for Chevettes is 60,000 miles (guess they meant it!) and it has an interference engine

- The interval for Novas is 60,000 miles and it's got an IE.

- Ford Ranger intervals are 60,000 miles or 120,000 miles depending on engine, and most of the engines are IEs.

- VW intervals range from 40-120,000 miles, and most (but by no means all) are interference engines.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

The interval comes from the Robert Bentley service manual for VW.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

we would do them at 50K back then!