Wheel alignment

A short while back I posted a question about wheel alignment after hitting a kerb (skidded in the wet.. passenger side front wheel took brunt of contact at approx 10-15mph). I thought everything was alright, but I have noticed a slight pulling to the left and the steering wheel is a few degrees off to the right when travelling straight.

VW are suggesting a full geometric test and alignment (£120+VAT). If something is bent they will of course fix the problem for parts and labour, and do a second alignment (another £120+VAT). This is potentially rather expensive.

Would you agree with the recommendation for a full geometric test?

Is there a cheaper alternative?

I'm in NW UK if anybody can nominate a trusted garage who can do the job more economically.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer

You would have to be nuts to go to VW for testing unless its a new car and want to keep things good on the history. I paid £250 for left front lower suspension arm to be replaced (bent like f*ck) with geometric test being done before and after i presume. Was at a local crash repair shop, i lost control in the snow and hit a curb at about the same speed as you, put a nice dent in the alloy :) but they said it was still round.

Reply to
Joe

anything you hit hard enough that it causes teh car to pull and/or makes the steering crooked needs to be fully checked out. B4 the alignment, the whole front suspension needs to be checked for damage, and any damaged parts replaced, THEN you have the alignment done. YOu dont have an alignment done b4 the inspection is done and any damaged parts are replaced.

Reply to
Biz

""Joe" " emitted :

My experience with my local VW main dealer has been excellent to date. They have never tried to extort money from me for any of the work that I've requested. The prices have been fair, it's been done right and on time. However for this particular job, it would be handy to find a garage who will not charge for a second geometric test if a problem arises!

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer

"Biz" emitted :

You think I should pay an engineer for half an hour inspection first? What VW told me is they cannot visually ascertain whether something is bent because of the small measurements involved. Thus if alignment cannot be achieved via the normal methods - this pinpoints offending parts which then have to be replaced or repaired. A second alignment is required once these are fitted. This was their explanation. If you have any thoughts about how I should approach this I would appreciate them.

BTW the steering wheel is 5-10 degree out, pull is quite minor (not

100% sure there is any) and there's no obvious judder at speed. What is the likelihood something is damaged??

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer

R U looking to get this fixed right, or just spend the absolute smallest amount of money possible? The 2 rarely ever go together.

Reply to
Biz

If your steering wheel is out then something *is* damaged. The question is, whether it's dangerous and/or how much you want to spend to fix it (obvoiusly if it's dangerous you want to spend whatever it takes). Take it either to a local reputable body shop or an alignment shop that knows what they're doing & can inspect the components. I'm betting you have a

*slight* bend in your tie rod. I would also consider replacing that wheel; it *may* have stress cracks that could be dangerous in the future. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

"ThaDriver" emitted :

Thanks Paul, that's just the kind of advice I was looking for. I have found a body shop who I think may be good for the job - will report back.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer

"Biz" emitted :

Fixed right, but without paying through the nose ;-)

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer