Wheels move in neutral

The other day I was working on my 89 Jetta 8v and when I was done I started the engine with the front wheels still off the ground. The wheels started spinning forward slowly. When I pushed the clutch in, they slowed to a stop. I'm guessing that this is not quite normal. But I dont know for sure. Is this a symptom of something failing in the tranny? Is this somehow normal?

They where moving slow enough that I could stop it with my hand, and didn't feel and forward force.

Reply to
Will

The other day I was working on my 89 Jetta 8v and when I was done I started the engine with the front wheels still off the ground. The wheels started spinning forward slowly. When I pushed the clutch in, they slowed to a stop. I'm guessing that this is not quite normal. But I don't know for sure. Is this a symptom of something failing in the tranny? Is this somehow normal?

They where moving slow enough that I could stop it with my hand, and didn't feel [any] forward force.

Reply to
Will

Input shaft of tranny is turning. Oil is getting slung around against gears that drive the output shaft. Wheels turn. Same thing when you spray water against a paint roller and the roller spins flinging paint and water.

"Will"

Reply to
jimbehning

So its normal?

Reply to
Will

Yes, it's normal. Also when you have the drive wheels of an automatic transmisson off the ground and it's in neutral, they will spin.

--Andy

"Will"

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
jimbehning

Nice. Thank you both. I was worried that there was something wrong with it.

Reply to
Will

Finally got my news account up

-Cheers

"Will"

Reply to
DruG

Glad to hear it Dru. Now we dont ever have to use that archic device the "telephone"

:)

Reply to
Will

telephones cost money. phooey on them.