When did they start putting airbags in Golfs (if they ever did)?

I'm looking for a Golf for my daughter and it occured to me that airbags might be a good idea. Any idea the earliest year that has them?

(oh anyone wants to sell me a Golf, need 5 speed and AC, under 75,000 miles, we're in NH)

Reply to
Kyle Morley

In Canada, they were optional from 1994 onwards...however, they didn't become standard equipment until the 1998 model year....If I were you, look for a 1996 or newer Jetta....in a crash, it will have airbags, and if your daughter gets rear ended, there is a hell of a lot more behind her in a Jetta than a Golf...I was hit from behind in my Jetta, and had I been driving a Golf, I would be in worse shape.....The Jetta also offers more creature comforts, and is a better looking vehicle. Used car prices for the Jetta are about the same as a similarily equipped Golf, and there is a larger selection of used Jettas on the market. The reason? Jetta is the #1 selling European badge in North America, so you have quite a selection of used cars....stick to the 1993-1999 generation, as they are new enough to still be reliable, but also old enough that parts have gone down in price.

Regards,

Reply to
Pete Cressman
96 european golfs have airbags as standard
Reply to
Joe

to expand on last, drivers airbag as standard passengers was optional in 96 european golfs. also look for the belt tensioners, hold her back in the seat on impact.

Reply to
Joe
94 here in the USA, but some early cars only had drivers airbag.
Reply to
Woodchuck

I have a 95 Golf Cellebration model which comes with 2 airbags. I think it's the first model with 2. The 94 only has one, I think. BTW, my 95 is an automatic with 90k and I've never had any problem with it. My timing belt went last year and was fully covered under the warranty.

Reply to
Golf Guy

So you had your timing belt replaced at 60000 miles and it broke last year?

Sure, I would buy this well maintained slush box in a sec!!

Reply to
Peter Parker

No '93s had them. Early '94s didn't either but part way through 1994 is when they started appearing.

I'd actually try for a late '96 though. Part way through the '96 model year they worked a glovebox back into the car (the airbag initially replaced the glove box completely).

Reply to
Matt B.

year they worked a glovebox back into the car (the airbag initially replaced the glove box completely).

At the risk of opening a can of worms here, the other reason I'd try for a late 1996 is because the DRL system was changed. The DRLs on 1995s and early 1996s illuminated every light, including the dash. The mid 1996s and later illuminated only the headlamps. It's a matter of personal opinion, but the DRLs in the 95s and early 1996s tended to cause the dash lights to burn out prematurely and they're a bit of an annoyance to replace. With a late '96 or later, this is less of an issue.

Reply to
Matt B.

Well no, why pay if it is done for free? I just waited until it went bad. All I've bought for this thing is front brakes, one set of tires, coolant flange, oil changes, air filter... a few other minor parts. It just passed emissions. I never have to add oil unless it starts getting old. It's all about total cost of ownership. What other negative things can you say about my reliable car?

Reply to
Golf Guy

Mine is a late 95 and has both driver and passenger airbags...not sure about passenger as standard though. It looks like the first owner (I'm the second) walked into a VW dealer, asked for a GTi, and ticked about every box on the options list....

Gordon Welsh

I have a brochure for a 1993 Jetta that lists a driver side airbag as optional equipment...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Except on my 95 there is a dimmer switch that has an off position for the dash lights. Leave it off during the day. They thought of just about everything!

Reply to
Golf Guy

My late '95 model doesn't have this. Interesting. I know VW loves changing the parts they use at the drop of a hat, but I'd love to know your VIN number ;)

Well, unless by "off" you mean turned down all the way. Even my early

70's Chrysler had that!

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

70's Chrysler had that!

Just about EVERY car has that...haven't seen one w/o it.

Reply to
Matt B.

optional equipment...

Don't think we got that option here. We were stuck with the motorized shoulder belts to meet our FMVSS.

Reply to
Matt B.