When do you use ESP ?

I've had my car for 2 years and never bothered to use the ESP on/off button. What is it's main use.

Reply to
MatMite

To turn the ESP function on or off?

OH, you meant ESP itself right?

;)

Reply to
Biz

"The electronic stabilization program (ESP) increases vehicle control in situations near the vehicle's limits. It reduces the risk of skidding and helps to keep the vehicle on course. ESP recognizes the course desired and the car's reactions. Through brake application at individual wheels, it generates one-sided forces which help the car to move in the desired direction. The ESP program uses other driving aids: the anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), the electronic differential lock (EDL) and the traction control (ASR) system, and is permanently engaged. Note: ESP cannot suspend or extend limits imposed by the laws of physics. If a driver exceeds the capabilities of the suspension system and ESP, even ESP cannot prevent loss of control and an accident. "

Rgds

Reply to
Alec

I've only turned it off when I'm trying to push my way out of a driveway with a ridge of snow left behind by the snowplow.

I can imagine you'd turn it off to smoke up your tires. (But I don't budget my money for such experiences... anymore)

You like to thrill of applying your own brakes while drifting through a set of twisties, rally-style

It's broken.

Anything else, I'd leave it on. It's an amazing little program, and I really haven't found an excuse to do anything with it.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

how do you know you have esp other than the light in the dash?

Reply to
M Power

There is a switch on the dash as well, older cars with traction control only had an "ASR" switch instead.

nate

M Power wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In snowy weather it's often more harm than good, especially when going up hills.

dv

Reply to
Drew V

We have ESP in two vehicles, a 2003 Jetta TDI and a 2001 MB ML 320. In the Jetta while trying to ascend an icy driveway in Vermont last year the ESP was more of a hindrance than a help. A little Kitty Litter and turning off the ESP got me up the driveway with ease. However, while driving in a rain storm on a dual carriageway at 70 mph the MB's ESP took over when we started to plane and saved the day. (Yes I was going to fast, but the onslaught of the rain was rather sudden). Overall I am glad to have it rather than be without it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R.