where do I put this relay?

1987 vw Golf/ no AC

Just got a fan relay and the parts guy said the diagram for where the relays are plugged in is in the owners manual. It isnt in mine.

any help would be appreciated

Michael

Reply to
mkl1

Wild guess, but maybe in the fuse box. That's where the AC relay was in my old BMW.

I don't even know where the fuse box is on my '02 Passat, and I hope it stays that way :-)

Reply to
Bert Hyman

This is to replace the one already in the car?

If so, on my '87 16V Scirocco, if you face the engine from the front of the car, a few inches to the right of the radiator on the frame which goes all the way across the car that the radiator is mounted to. It's near the battery. If you'd like, e-mail me and I can send you a picture of it's location on this car. Hopefully, it's in a similar location on yours.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Yes, it is assumed by me that the one presently in the car is faulty thus requiring replacement by the one purchased?

not sure its inthe engine compartment but it might help Bill, thankyou?

Reply to
mkl1

Thermostatic fan for the radiator, or the blower fan for the passenger compartment?

Owner's manuals don't typically show location of such things. A repair manual may.

Reply to
Jonny

No AC... may not have a relay!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thermostatic fan for the radiator.

thanks

Reply to
mkl1

Owners manual rarely show the type of details you are looking for. Buy a Bentley Service Manual (about $50) for your particular vehicle. The info you seek, including wiring diagrams and relay information, is shown.

Reply to
Papa

Can't tell you for your particular vehicle, may be different. Bentley manual for my 88 Fox states their is a relay (AC only) in relay position 2 of the relay panel that controls the radiator fan and fuse position 8 and

  1. If no AC, there fuse position 19 supplies power to the radiator cooling fan. The thermostatic switch is located at the bottom of the radiator. Appropriate for your vehicle Robert Bentley manual can be acquired from a parts store locally or online. This is good to have.
Reply to
Jonny

The fan relay for the radiator temp switch is by the radiator left side I think.

Reply to
none2u