Where is the thermostat located on a 96 Golf III GL?

Hello - Could some helpful soul point me in the right direction of where to locate the thermostat on a 1996 VW Golf III GL? Yesterday my temp gauge never reached where it usually does and the heater puts out much less heat. I think this is becasue of a bad thermostat, right? The temp usually runs in the middle of the gauge and now it's about

1/8-1/4 of the way up. It's really cold here in NJ and the heat works at about 30-40%, where as 2 days ago it worked great. Can I buy a new thermostat at most auto parts shops?

Many thanks for any and all help, is there an online reference site that would have more detail about my car and answers to questions like this?

Have a great day - Tad

Reply to
Tad Hewit

Pick up a manual; either a Bentley or Haynes. Follow the two rad hoses. The thermostat should be in a housing at the end of one of them (I'm guessing the lower rad hose if VW hasn't changed their design).

Does the car eventually get up to operating temperature? I've often wondered the same thing up here in Ontario. A higher coolant:water ratio will increase the length of time that your car takes to heat.

Reply to
Darryl

If it gets up to "normal" temperature when idling but plummets back down again once you start moving, then I'd say your t-stat is definitely bad...it's stuck open.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yeah your thermostat sounds bad. AFAIK It is located at the bottom of your water pump housing if it is the 2.0 engine.

BTW I have some new Hayne manuals if you want one cheap.

dave

Reply to
Craig Williams

He's in NJ so I'm guessing it's below freezing right now; perhaps he's using too high of a mixture for really cold climates (up to 70/30).

Like another poster asked, if the car warms to operating temperature (or close to it) and a drive cools it way down, then the thermostat has failed or stuck in the open position.

Reply to
Darryl

Hey guys - Thanks for the help, let me clarify a little. It never gets up to normal temp, (ie.- where it used to, right it the middle of the temp gauge, I'm calling this 1/2 way) It goes from very low, I can't really tell if it has moved when I'm driving, to about 1/8 to

1/4 when I'm stopped for 1-2 minutes.

Does this still sound like the t-stat? I have not changed, replaced, or added coolant since the late fall so I don't think it invloves that. I think I found where it is, I'm going to get a manual this weekend. Thanks for all your help.

Take care - Tad

Reply to
Tad Hewit

Yes if the car is running cold it can only be a stuck open t-stat or your guage/sensor reading wrong. 95% bas t-stat.

Reply to
Craig Williams