Where to keep vehicle registration in a VW Golf?

Where should you keep the registration form in an '04 Golf?

In my previous cars, I used to keep the registration behind a clip-on mirror on the sun visor. But there doesn't seem to be room to do this on my Golf, because the built-in mirror with the sliding cover takes up so much room in the visor.

I'm currently keeping the registration in the side pocket of the owner's manual, but I'm concerned that in the (hopefully unlikely!) event that I were ever pulled over and asked to show "license and registration", the police officer might freak out if I were to go for the glove compartment (which might, for all he/she knows, contain a gun).

Any thoughts (other than "don't ever drive in a way that would ever make a police office think of wanting to pull you over")?

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

On the contrary.

I suggest you drive such that you get pulled over as frequently as possible so that you're no longer worried about what might happen.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The Glove Box is always the place for it... nerver heard of anyone putting it else where. if you are worry, do as the last person said and take a bus.

Reply to
Lee

maybe he is black

Reply to
artie beamer

I second that (glove box). it's so common.

Reply to
Matt B.

You shouldn't If the car is stolen then the thieves have it.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Keep it in the glove compartment like everyone else does.

One of the few time I've been pulled over the registration and insurance card were sitting in the glove compartment right next to my gun. License and carry permit were in my wallet. All you have to do is think and get the registration and insurance card out while the cop is still at their car. When they get to your car you already have the paperwork in hand. You've typically got at least a good 60 seconds before they come over while they get their paperwork in order and run your plate.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Why don't you buy a small trailer to tow?

Reply to
Norm De Plume

In your wallet, dummy. That way it's always right near your driver's license, but if someone steals your car, they won't have it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I thought everybody kept the registration in the glove box. There was a time in the U.S., about 50 or 60 years ago, when they were inserted into a clear sleeve and strapped to the steering column. In those days, a steering column was completely visible all the way to the firewall, and not buried inside other components.

Reply to
Papa

The problem with digging around in the glove compartment before the officer comes to your window is that that action can look suspicious. How does he know you aren't reaching for a gun? Same with reaching into your back pocket to get your wallet. The advice I use (from a former state trooper) is to keep your hands on the wheel, in plain sight. When the officer comes to your window and asks for your license and registration, tell him it is in the glove compartment or back pocket and ask permission to retrieve it. This keeps the officer in his comfort zone. If your gun is in the glove compartment as well, tell him in advance so he's not surprised.

Reply to
racertod

Glove compartment. And don't reach for it unless asked. Cops are really freaked out these days.

At least in California, a photocopy of the registration is acceptable. Perhaps keep multiple copies, including one in your wallet as D. Stern suggested.

Reply to
y_p_w

And 50 or 60 years ago hoods were openable from the outside, too. Doesn't make that practical now either.

Keep it in your wallet. Do you keep your credit cards in your glove box?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

thieves can't do anything is registration or insurance...... he is not talking his title... gosh

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

I keep a photocopy of the registration and the normal copy of the insurance in the cars manual (in that pocket) with the radio key code card and other "vitals"... My dad keeps his stuff in his wallet and it's unreadable after about a month or so - he's now gone to glove compartment too.

I don't know why you need registration, the 2 times I got pulled over, they looked up the car on the computer, all I needed was liscence and insurance... In fact I got off easy because I didn't have the registration, that's what I got a ticket for.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Glove box. That is where most people keep it. The title stays at home or in a safe deposit box. Don't keep it in your wallet since you might forget the wallet and then your in REAL trouble when you can't show the drivers license and registration. Plus IF someone else drives that vehicle and they get stopped they will not have a copy to show the officer. For folks who keep a gun in there as well just notify the officer it is there when he asks for the papers. If your in a state that has permits make sure you have it as well, Just in case he asks to see it. Keep in mind that in states that require pistol permits the officer already knows if the RO has one or not. It comes up with the rest of the vehicle info about the owner.

Reply to
Steve W.

Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box. And it a sidebar to the other tread about my hostage trunk situation, I wound up keeping the registration and insurance stuff in an envelope which I taped on the ceiling of my trunk (the interior of that metal shelf I'm getting ready to try to take out).

Anyhow, should ya get pulled over, I'm sure John Law will be more than happy to let you retrieve whatever it is you need to retrieve for him so long as you explain what you're doing. Actually, as a matter of habit, I keep my wallet and ID and all in my book bag, which is usually in my trunk or secured in whatever car/truck/jeep I had. I've been pulled over in that situation-- and it never added up to any problem.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

pretty inconvenient though. what about door map pockets? wouldnt' that be easier?

Reply to
Matt B.

Maybe I'm different, but I don't plan my driving habits around whether I'm going to be pulled over. Just store the paperwork in a place where they won't get misplaced that is also easy to get to. For most of us that place is the glove compartment. And the cops know that. Just be deliberate and open in your movements and it will be fine...honest.

If you are among the minority who has a license to carry a concealed weapon in the glove compartment then explain the situation to the officer BEFORE opening the glove box.

Interesting that a receptacle that stores everything except gloves these days is still called a glove compartment.

Reply to
John S.

They decided you needed an airbag and knee bolster more than you needed a glovebox.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern