Which Bentley do I get?

The following text is taken from the Ross-Tech web site:

The most cost-effective manuals with good Scan-Tool procedures for US/Canadian vehicles are the CD-ROMs from Robert Bentley Publishers. We offer these at a discount to registered VAG-COM users. Beware, however, that many of the paper "Service Manuals" published by Bentley do not contain Scan-Tool Procedures. If a paper Bentley manual is called a "Service Manual" it usually does not have scan-tool procedures. If it is called "Official Factory Repair Manual", it does

I need a manual now for my 2000 Jetta TDI and in the future VAG-COM. Would it be wise for me to get the CD through Ross-Tech knowing that VAG-COM will be following relatively soon. As near as I can tell, the only difference is the scan tool procedures on the CD which isn't in the paper service manual. I would like the convenience of a paper manual, but would live with a CD if it would be better for a future VAG-COM user. If the paper manual is the way to go, where is a good/cheap place to purchase it?

Also, I'm due for a timing belt change. Is my car a candidate for the upgraded idler/belt? Where do I get it? Is the procedure covered in the manual (paper or CD)?

Reply to
Joe B

You will want the "Official Factory Repair Manual" for when you get VAG COM. VAG COM is, simply put, a tool. And like any tool, having it doesn't automatically mean you know what to do with it. You may have a complete set of wrenches, but they do you no good if you don't know which bolt turn.

It took me a little time to get use to CD based manuals, but now I'd never want to go back. Being able to search an entire repair manual in a few seconds is great. For example, you pull up a DTC number, do a search for that number and you will be taken right to the info you need instead of thumbing though page after page of DTC charts, then flipping to another section for the test (hyper links).

If you must have paper in your hand, that is what a printer is for, and you can always have a clean fresh copy made up.

Joe B wrote:

Reply to
Pencilneck

Just hope that your computer never crashes as you have to have a password to register and use the CD... I believe you are allowed to get 5 passwords and then you have to purchase another CD. You are also not allowed to have the software on more than one computer...

At least this is how I understand it from a shop that is using these CD's for the VAG COM.... maybe I have something confused...

I would rather have the convenience of the paper manual since it is not going to crash on me... besides, it is cheaper and I don't have to worry about purchasing a new one unless I lose or damage mine.

Maybe you should get both?

Reply to
VWGirl

But paper can be torn/stained/spilled upon....I use both, personally. On my laptop, I have the VAG/COM and the Bentley and VESIS, so I am well equipped for dealing with most issues, however, I always have my paper backup, but I never take it from the house.....

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman