Whirring sound when I open my Golf's door

I have a 2004 Golf.

When I open the driver's-side front door, I can hear a faint whirring sound, apparently coming from behind the instrument panel.

It only lasts for about two seconds -- not enough time for me to locate its source more precisely.

And it only happens if the car has been parked for quite a while -- e.g., first thing in the morning, or when I return to the car after work at the end of the day.

Does anyone else experience this same sound? Does anyone know what it is?

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

I can hear it in my fathers 2003 Golf CL, but my 1999.5 Golf GLS doesn't make the noise.

His car has only power steering and A/C and a radio as accessories.... so I ruled out a central locking system, alarm system, or any other power system... No electrical component to turn on the dome light would make a noise like that. (Relays click, charing capacitors for the dimmer make no noises at all, resistors and lights also - no noise).

He says it doesn't bother him (not knowing what it was) but he's brought it up a few times, and I've heard it when I drive his car... would be interesting to know what it is. - I think, he thinks it's a potential problem with something.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

My 2003 GTI does produce the same sound.

Reply to
Ototin

My 1999 Golf had this too. It is the fuel pump sending some fuel up the line towards the engine, so the engine can fire straigh away without waiting for fuel to come up from the tank. Only happens when opening drivers side door and only happens when the car has been parked for awhile. I thought the noise actually came from down near the tank, rather than from behind the dash.

If you try sneaking in the passenger's door and then start the car, perhaps you'll notice it doesn;t start as quickly? :)

MK

Reply to
MK

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have never heard that one before -- I have always heard that the sound is from a vacuum pump that operates the door-lock system.

Reply to
Brian Running

Golf CL's don't have central locking - and our 2003 Golf CL makes that noise.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

that was the case for many 90s VWs (particularly the A3s) but the A4s don't make that noise.

Reply to
Matt B.