White smoke when starting my car in summer(96 Golf, 1.8l 8v, 186k)

Car: vwGolf 96

186000km 1.8l 8v Canada

Hi group,

My Golf in the summer, never saw it in the winter, sometime will produce a white smoke when starting. Sometime alot other time little. The problem is when I cold start my car in the mourning. And there no smoke when I'm driving.

One mecanic ask me if the smoke was totaly white or "white-bleu". And really I don't know it look white to me but it's not totally blue. Last time I smell it, it was smelling like burn oil and not sweet(burn prestone). My car always burn oil but a little more since I saw the smoke. The coolant level is always good, but I will have to add arround

1L of oil each 1500km and before it was 1l for 2000km.

The problem appear maybe two year ago, the smoke is not alot all the time and don't happen during winter so it's easy the forget. But I want to fix that this summer.

My friend is a mecanic, mostly truc and will be happy to fix it for me.

What do you think is the problem and is it easy to fix?

Thanks,

Dominique

Reply to
do.uris

Can we get a 'speed of light' joke in here? Oh wait, that's metric...

Sounds like it's a head/valve stem issue. That sort of smoke during start-up is usually due to oil from the head leaking down past the valve stem guides overnight. A valve job (along with a timing belt while you're in there) is probably the solution.

It'd be worth doing a compression test beforehand to determine whether a full engine rebuild is needed. No sense pulling the head out and rebuilding it only to put it on block that's got tired pistons and crank bearings. And if you do that, well, look at the clutch...

Reply to
wkearney99

There could still be a joke there. See

Tom's VR6

The timing belt was done at 130k on my car. But if the timing will have a issues on that... There is always a "clik-clik-clik" sound if I'm reving my car in low gear. I ask my mecanic one day and he said just to put higher octane gasoline in my car it should fix it. It fix it a little bit but not completely. Do you think is related?

Yeah that's the thing, I don't want to put too much money in this motor. If the job is more than 400$ I will probaly invest in a newer motor(less km and more hp).

It's the next thing I will do.

Thanks,

Dominique

Reply to
Dom

Usually white smoke is water, indicating a blown head gasket. But it's hard to tell if it's white or blueish sometimes, if it's just a short puff. As another said, it's very likely worn valve seals or stems. I think I would drive it as is & save up the cash for a good used 16 valve engine - if you're looking for more HP. Just keep an eye on the oil level & pressure, & temperature guage. (which you should do anyway :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

It's been so long since I've had sex, I can't remember who gets tied up.

Reply to
ThaDriver