who has installed M long-life T-belt before 2001 in a TDI engine?

I'm looking for a mechanic who has changed the timing belt M long life (038-109-119-M) on a 2001 TDI Jetta last 6 vin numbers 000500 or less (any OLDER ALH TDI engine)? Jetta years 2000 or 2001 less than 000501 requires the D belt per the VW dealer. My mechanic is concerned about all this because of the D being a "square tooth" versus the M being a "round tooth" (VW Dealer info) so he asked me to check it out on the TDIclub forum.

However I've been told that any ALH engine can use the M belt.

Can those of you who have updated your TDI ALH engine to the M belt let me know when you did it, what year is your car, and how many miles since it's been done?

Thanks, Kerry snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com

Reply to
Kerry Boytzun

I found out via tdiclub.com and others, and a friendly VW parts guy that the camshaft gear and crankshaft gear for a 99.5 thru 2002 are the same due to same part numbers. Thus we deducted there's no worries installing the long life M timing belt as many already have. It appears that once the "stock supplies" of the weaker D belt are gone, the M belt will be the defacto belt...

Reply to
Kerry Boytzun