Why do thieves like to steal the VW emblem?

This is the second time my '96 Golf's emblem has been stolen. I was surprised when the guy at my local VW dealer informed me that this is very common. He claims he has at least 3 VW owners a week ordering a new emblem. He thinks it has something to do with people wanting to imitate the Beastie Boys? Why do these thieves really want it? My guess is that the thief owns a VW, and their emblem may have been stolen and they don't want to shell out the $$$ for a new one...

Reply to
Paul B.

That's probably why (Beastie Boys), believe it or not. This little fad started in the late 80s with one of their videos where one of the band members had a VW emblem on a chain worn around his neck. I've heard of missing VW emblems under this premise going back at least 14-15 years now. Looks like the fad has come back again (or never really went away).

Reply to
Matt B.

Actually it goes way, way, way back but it started w/ MBZ emblems. (As w/ most things Beasty they are derivative.)

Sad to think they have fallen so far in the pecking order as to prey on poor VWs.

TBerk

"They" who? If you're referring to the Beastie Boys, the VW/Beastie Boys association goes all the way back to their very beginnings, it's not a recent thing.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah that's what I recall from the late 1980s.

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt B.

Mercedes is another target I believe.

My uncle has a trucking company and his son (my cousin) took one off one of the trucks (he asked permission first). He wore it around his neck. (This was a few years ago when he was about 15 or so.)

It was actually quite large, about 15cm in diameter. Most people only can get the ones from cars that are about 7cm in diamater (though the sports cars have the large model).

I myself never understood this practive even though I am of that generation (I'm two years younger than my cousin who wore the thing around his neck). Then again I'm was never really into being "cool" or wearing jewelry either. Heck, I dress like a bum most of the time. :>

Reply to
David Magda

No, in that context I am talking about emblem thieves.

TBerk