Why Only 4.7 Quarts of Oil?

I have a 2003 GTI 1.8T, is it safe to just put 5 quarts of oil in rather than 4.7 as the manual states? It is only 9.6 ounces of oil. Anyone else doing this?

-d

Reply to
Lamont

I don't, and if I put too much oil in a customers car I would get my but KICKED!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Can you buy your oil in litres anywhere?

It's suppose to be 5L or oil, at least it is with my TDI and 99% sure our

2.0L is the same, 5L.

Probably doesn't matter too much, 5L of oil gets me to 1/2 way up the cross-hatched area on the dipstick... would take another 1/2 litre till it overfilled I believe (as I am told from the bottom of the cross-hatched area to the top is 1 litre).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Likely a metric - English thing. In any case I suggest do as I do. I add about 4 quarts, check the level and add more until it shows full. I don't worry about exactly how many ounces it may take, I just fill it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

One big no-no in car maintenance is never overfill the oil....

Reply to
Biz

You mean never never overfill the oil? :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I agree about the overfilling and the metric system but I was looking at it from a percentage perspective. Example: 4.7 quarts is 150.4 ounces, 5 quarts is 160 ounces. The difference is 9.6 ounces or 6.3 percent, not a lot of oil; heck you could spill that much during an oil change. It is not a big deal I buy the 5-quart "jug" of Mobil 1 and do remove about a cup (8 ounces) before refilling the crankcase. It would just be easier to pour the whole jug in. By the way 5L is more that 5 quarts therefore if the requirement was for 5L it would be something like 5.5 quarts, just an estimate. Oh well I guess if 5 quarts was ok the manual would state 5 quarts. Thanks for you input.

Reply to
Lamont

I use the extra as top up oil over time. It's not much but hey...

Reply to
Mikhael47

The actual point at which it could become a problem depends on the engine design. Whatever it is that brings the oil up to the point where it ends up where it does not belong and starts being foamed up is too much.

In real life there is some variation from one car to the next and if you were to dent the oil pan that would make a difference. It also is true that not every one drains the oil exactly the same so you may have more or less hold back than I do. Replacing or not replacing the filter will also make a difference.

I would guess that under normal conditions there would be no problems. However add all the factors together and have them all at the same time could well bring it over the top. That is why I suggest not relying on the written specifications, but rather measure the end result each time.

Note: I intentionally underfill and then after a short trip allow the car to cool on a level area and re-check it. Not only am I likely to assure a proper refill, but if I would to have screwed up and somehow I had a leak or had underfilled, I would likely catch it before it became a bigger problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually, more like never EVER overfill the oil....

Reply to
Biz

Joseph makes a good point. In actuality you should be filling til the dispstick reads full, measuring the right amount etc., still does not mean you are properly filling the crankcase depending on how well you got the old oil drained out.

Reply to
Biz

I use a pela oil extractor. You have to be extra careful with it.

Reply to
Mikhael47

Dipsticks are not all the same. Case in point. A dipstick on a 1.6L diesel could easily be overfilled and not show on the dipstick. It all depends on the year and model type engine. Some dipsticks are very inaccurate especially if the tube was resealed at the block...

Reply to
Peter Parker

i didn't notice anybody making reference to the fact that there are a number of oil filters that work for the engine from different manufacturers....some are different in size and thus hold different amounts of oil as well.....technically speaking.

regards

Reply to
euro930

Good points everyone. By the way what is the proper full mark, the top of the crosshatch or the bend?

Reply to
Lamont

Anywhere between. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I always figured anywhere in between was fine, but I was told by my local service department that you should fill to the top of the crosshatched area.

Reply to
Brian Running

I'm sure someone already brought up you will blow you seals if you put to much oil. big no no.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee