Why's the new Jetta so cheap?

Loooking at the available compact wagons to replace my '02 Passat GLS wagon, the prices floored me. But, the new Jetta wagon comes in at just $21,000 for the base model.

Looking at the features list, it's got all the bells and whistles of my Passat and more. Other than size, it's a perfect match.

So, what have they done to keep the price so low?

Reply to
Bert

The price reflects the Americans peoples perception of poor reliability. $ 21, 000 is not cheap.

$14, 500 would be.

Reply to
DogDiesel