Why VW's get bad gas mileage?

If you look at actual car weights from then and now, I think you'll be surprised. When comparing apples to apples (i.e., compacts to compacts, full-size to full-size, etc.) today's cars are almost always heavier.

Reply to
Brian Running

Wow. *That's* a good point. How much does a full battery discharge translate into in MPG?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Hard to say, but recharging it using the altanator does add engine load. It won't be free (MPG wise). This is why with the AC on hybreds see such a large milage drop off, adding electrical load obviously limits the electricity available to battery. I wonder what happens to hybreds when the heater is on in winter (MPG wise)?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

I use to perform emissions testing during the late 1970s. Back then, as best as I can remember, all the accessories were turned off. Before the test, the car was taken on a 10 minute drive and parked for 12-24 hours at 68°-86°F. The temperature in the dyno room was controlled at this temperature range also. The car was pushed onto the dyno, a hose connected to the exhaust pipe and a fan placed in front of the radiator. The city test was done first, and there was about a

5 minute pause with the engine shut off about one quarter of the way through. When tested the driver followed a trace on a strip chart, unless the car could not accelerate fast enough to keep up with the trace, in which case the chart was labeled WOT (wide open throttle). The shift points on manual transmission vehicles would be shown on the trace and I think were provided by the manufacturer. After the city test we did a short cycle test where the vehicle was accelerated to a given speed and then brought to a stop. After this the highway test was done.

PHRED

Reply to
Phred